AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor

In summary, the conversation is about a series LCR circuit and the behavior of current in different branches at resonance. The question is which ammeter may read zero amperes and what happens to the current in the other branches at resonance. It is determined that the equivalent reactance at resonance should be infinite and the current in A3 would be zero. However, in the transient period, there may still be a non-zero current in A3. The conversation also discusses the transient analysis of the circuit and the equations for current in the inductor and capacitor. The conversation concludes that if the source is connected at t=0, the current drawn from the source is DC.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

LC.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why would the current be zero in any of the branches . May be I am missing something very fundamental .

Please help me understand this question .

Attachments

• LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 687
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
May be I am missing something very fundamental .
The question should be 'which ammeter may/could read zero ampere?'.
There is a specific value of ω for which one of the meters would read zero.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
The question should be 'which ammeter may/could read zero ampere?'.
There is a specific value of ω for which one of the meters would read zero.

OK .

Could you please elaborate .

Jahnavi said:
Could you please elaborate .
Have you studied electrical resonance?

cnh1995 said:
Have you studied electrical resonance?

In series LCR circuit . But this is different .

Jahnavi said:
In series LCR circuit . But this is different .
What will happen at resonant frequency in this circuit? What is the effective impedance of this circuit at resonance?

Likes Jahnavi
Sorry ! As I said I know only series LCR circuit .

Jahnavi said:
Sorry ! As I said I know only series LCR circuit .
Resonance occurs at a particular frequency where Xc=XL. In this circuit, what would be the equivalent reactance at resonance?

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
In this circuit, what would be the equivalent reactance at resonance?

Equivalent reactance should be 0 . The net impedance should be equal to the resistance but since there is no resistance R in this circuit , net impedance Z will also be 0 .

Jahnavi said:
Equivalent reactance should be 0 . The net impedance should be equal to the resistance but since there is no resistance R in this circuit , net impedance Z will also be 0 .
No, the reactances are in parallel here.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
No, the reactances are in parallel here.

Should the equivalent reactance be infinite ?

Jahnavi said:
Should the equivalent reactance be infinite ?
Yes.

cnh1995 said:
Yes.

OK . In that case current in A3 will be zero at resonance ?

Jahnavi said:
OK . In that case current in A3 will be zero at resonance ?
Yes.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
Yes.

OK .

Since the problem is done , could you explain what happens to the current in the other two branches at resonance .

Here you can see that the source doesn't supply any current. This means the energy keeps oscillating between L and C and no power is drawn from the source.

cnh1995 said:
Here you can see that the source doesn't supply any current. This means the energy keeps oscillating between L and C and no power is drawn from the source.

Is the frequency ω altered continuously till the circuit resonates at a particular frequency ?

I am asking this because some current has to flow through A3 initially so that energy could be stored in L/C .

Jahnavi said:
Is the frequency altered continuously till the circuit resonates at a particular frequency ?

I am asking this because some current has to flow through A3 initially so that energy could be stored in L/C .

Yes.
This is the sinusoidal steady-state scenario.
You don't have to know how the energy "gets into" the system. To analyse that, you need to do the transient analysis of the circuit using DEs and initial conditions, which is out of the scope of your curriculum (and this problem).

OK .

Perhaps one last question :smile:

What if the circuit is initially operated at the resonant frequency ? Would you say there will be no current in the circuit anytime anywhere ?

Jahnavi said:
Would you say there will be no current in the circuit anytime anywhere
That you need to see using transient analysis.:wink:
For the inductor,
Ldi/dt=Vmsin(ωt)
If you close the switch at t=0, you will get an undamped transient for the inductor current.
The transient depends on the instant of switching and magnitudes of R and L.
See
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5815132/
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5797346/

For the capacitor, there won't be any transient current for switching at t=0.

Overall you'll get the sum of these two currents as the resultant source current. I can't say much about its waveform or magnitude unless I do the math.

Likes phoenix95
That means , in the transient period , there will be non zero current in A3 even at resonant frequency ?

Jahnavi said:
That means , in the transient period , there will be non zero current in A3 even at resonant frequency ?
Yes.
I'll try to find the exact equation for current once I reach home.

cnh1995 said:
Yes.
I'll try to find the exact equation for current once I reach home.
Here, after doing some math, you can see
iL(t)=Vm/ωL-Vmcos(ωt)/ωL

and
Ic(t)=Vmcos(ωt)/ωL
...(since ωL=1/ωC).
Therefore, the source current
Is(t)=IL+Ic
=Vm/ωL (or VmωC).

Thus, you can see if you connect the source at t=0 (i.e. at zero crossing of the input voltage), the current drawn from the source is dc.

Likes Jahnavi
Here is a simulation result of the same situation. It agrees with the math in #23:smile:.
For the values of L and C used, 159Hz is the resonant frequency.
You can see the source current(red) is dc.
Screenshot_20180502-094202.png

Screenshot_20180502-094214.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180502-094214.png
    Screenshot_20180502-094214.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Screenshot_20180502-094202.png
    Screenshot_20180502-094202.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Thanks !

One more thing I forgot to add regarding one of your earlier posts:
To get A3 to read zero, you have to first connect the source to "put some energy into the LC network", then disconnect the source at a particular instant so that the energy will start oscillating between L and C, and then reconnect the source at a particular instant such that no current is drawn from the source.
Altering the frequency continuously till you hit resonance won't make A3 read zero, because whatever transient starts after you connect the source, lasts forever as there is no resistive damping. This is why I used the term "undamped transient" earlier somewhere. (Though if it lasts forever, it's no longer "transient", but I don't know what I should call it:-p).

All the ac circuits you have in your curriculum are assumed to be in sinusoidal steady state and concepts like phasors (and phasor algebra), impedance, real/reactive power etc are applicable only to the circuits in sinusoidal steady state.

Likes Jahnavi
I was waiting for this post . This is why I hadn't marked it as solved :smile:

Thank you very much !

Likes cnh1995

What is an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor?

An AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor is a type of electronic circuit where an alternating current (AC) voltage is applied to an inductor and a capacitor in series. This creates a resonant circuit, which can be used in various applications such as power supplies, filters, and oscillators.

What is the role of an inductor in an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. In an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor, the inductor serves to store the energy from the AC voltage and release it in a controlled manner, creating a smooth AC waveform.

What is the role of a capacitor in an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of an electric field. In an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor, the capacitor helps to smooth out the AC waveform by storing and releasing energy, allowing for a more stable output voltage.

What is resonance in an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor?

Resonance in an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor refers to the state where the inductor and capacitor are exchanging energy back and forth at a specific frequency. This frequency is determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor, and when the AC voltage source is at this frequency, the circuit will experience a high level of resonance.

What are some applications of an AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor?

An AC voltage source driving an inductor and a capacitor can be used in various applications such as power supplies, filters, and oscillators. It is also commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits, where it can be used to select and amplify specific frequencies. Additionally, it can be used in resonant transformers for high voltage applications, and in electronic ballasts for fluorescent lights.