Accelaration of gravity g(t)=?

• Thread starter luckis11
  • Start date
rcgldr
Homework Helper
The solution to problem should be ready as the one of the "Two body problem". At least it seems so as I see at the wikipedia article on it. Why didn't you get the equations of that at the first place?
I don't recall, the newer thread was a continuation of the older thread, and there were prior threads. Someone just wanted to see the math worked out starting with basic gravity equations for acceleration versus distance between objects.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Well, the math worked out are supposed to be explained at the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_orbit.

But already the equation m1r''1=... does not say how it is derived.
If you are referring to the equation [tex]m_1\ddot{\vec{r}}_1=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex] , that's just Newton's second law (and the universal law of gravitation of course) applied to mass [itex]m_1[/itex] ([itex]\vec{r}_[/itex] is the mass' position vector at any given time, so its second time derivative is the mass' acceleration at any given point in time).

(deleted by poster)

Last edited:
It is the Two Body Problem:

What is the r(t)=(distance of m from M at t), given the initial (x,y) coordinates-vector for the position of M and m and the velocity of m, where M is at the centre of the axises xy, and the axises move with M so that it is stationary in that reference frame?

I am not even sure if the question is correct, but I fear that I will instist for months on finding its answer.

Last edited: