Accelerated BS/MS Program: Worth the Effort?

• Thread starter MEM33
  • Start date
In summary, accelerated programs can be advantageous, but it is important to weigh the potential benefits against the added challenge and cost. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual circumstances and goals.
MEM33
Hello all,

I am a pre-junior mechanical engineering major at Drexel University. I currently have a 3.9 GPA. I am entertaining if I should enter the accelerated Bs/Ms program. If I do I could eliminate 20 undergraduate credits, but would need to finish 45 graduate credits. The school will be charging me at the undergraduate rate, but I will graduate in the same amount of time with a Master's degree. I am assuming that the extra challenge will effect my GPA somewhat, but not sure by how much. Does anyone have any opinion of these types of programs? If so, what do you think. Is it worth the extra effort, or should I get a job then worry about my Master's?

Thanks,
MEM33

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion is that accelerated programs can be beneficial if you are motivated and have the time to commit to them. It allows you to get a Master's degree in a shorter amount of time, and the extra challenge might even help you stand out more when applying for jobs. However, it is important to consider if it is worth the extra effort and financial cost. If you are already working on a job or internship while in school, then getting a job and then worrying about a Master's might be the better choice. Ultimately, it depends on your individual situation and goals.

Related to Accelerated BS/MS Program: Worth the Effort?

1. What is an accelerated BS/MS program?

An accelerated BS/MS program is a combined degree program that allows students to earn both a Bachelor's (BS) and Master's (MS) degree in a shorter amount of time compared to pursuing each degree separately. This is achieved by overlapping coursework and allowing students to count credits from their undergraduate courses towards their graduate degree.

2. How long does an accelerated BS/MS program typically take to complete?

The duration of an accelerated BS/MS program can vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs can be completed in 4-5 years, compared to the traditional route of earning a Bachelor's degree in 4 years and a Master's degree in an additional 2 years.

3. Is an accelerated BS/MS program worth the effort?

This ultimately depends on the individual and their goals. For some, an accelerated program allows them to save time and money by completing both degrees in a shorter amount of time. It can also provide a competitive edge in the job market. However, it may require a heavier course load and intense academic commitment, so it is important to carefully consider if this program is the right fit for you.

4. Can I still participate in extracurricular activities and have a social life while in an accelerated BS/MS program?

Yes, it is possible to balance coursework and extracurricular activities while in an accelerated program. However, time management and prioritization are key. It may require sacrificing some free time in order to meet academic demands, but many students are still able to participate in extracurricular activities and have a social life while in the program.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to an accelerated BS/MS program?

Some potential drawbacks include a heavier workload and a lack of breaks between completing undergraduate and graduate coursework. It may also limit the opportunity for internships or research experiences during the undergraduate years. Additionally, some employers may view an accelerated degree as less valuable compared to a traditional 4-year undergraduate degree followed by a 2-year Master's program. It is important to weigh these potential drawbacks against the benefits before deciding if an accelerated program is right for you.