1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acceleration 4 vector question

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    This is question 5.8 from Rindler's Relativity: Special, General, Cosmological book, with A, U the 4 acceleration and velocity; a, u the 3 acceleration and velocity. It has 3 parts which I think I've answered correctly below, but need help with the last part.

So could you have a look and comment on it?

a) Prove that, in any inertial frame where a is orthogonal to u, [tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma^{2} (\textbf{a},0)[/tex], and conversely.

my answer:

[tex]\dot{\gamma}=\gamma^{3}/c^{2}\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u}[/tex]

[tex]\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma d\textbf{U}/dt = \gamma d/dt(\gamma\textbf{u},\gamma c) = \gamma(\dot{\gamma}\textbf{u} + \gamma\textbf{a}, \dot{\gamma}c ) [/tex]

and so

[tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma^{2} (\textbf{a},0)[/tex] --- (1)

which proves the first part.

Given (1), then

[tex] \dot{\gamma}c = 0 [/tex] and so

[tex]\dot{\gamma}=\gamma^{3}/c^{2}\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u} = 0 [/tex]

which is only possible for [tex]\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u} = 0 [/tex]

Hence the converse is also true.

b) Deduce that for any instantaneous motion it is possible to find an inertial frame S_|_ in which a, u are orthogonal to one another.

my answer:

In s_|_ , [tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma^{2} (\textbf{a},0)[/tex]

I need to show [tex]\dot{\gamma}c[/tex] in A can transform to 0 in S_|_:

[tex]\gamma_{v}(\gamma_{u}\dot{\gamma_{u}} - v(\gamma_{u}\mathbf{a_{x}} + \dot{\gamma_{u}}\mathtbf{u_{x}})/c^{2}) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] v = \gamma_{u}\dot{\gamma_{u}}c^{2} / (\gamma_{u}\mathbf{a_{x}} + \dot{\gamma_{u}}\mathbf{u_{x}})[/tex]

[tex] v = \gamma_{u}^{4}\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{u} / (\gamma_{u}\mathbf{a_{x}} + \dot{\gamma_{u}}\mathbf{u_{x}})[/tex]--- (2)

Hence there exists a v and therefore s_|_.

c) Moreover, prove that there is a whole class of such frames, all moving relative to S_|_ in directions orthogonal to a.

My answer:

The stationary frame can be rotated giving a new a_x, u_x in (2) and hence another v and s_|_. But I can't show they're moving relative to S_|_ in directions orthogonal to a.

Thanks for your help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted