Acceleration 4 vector question

This shows that a' and u' are still orthogonal in the new frame, and therefore S'_|_ is also a valid inertial frame where a' and u' are orthogonal to each other. This rotation can be
jason12345
This is question 5.8 from Rindler's Relativity: Special, General, Cosmological book, with A, U the 4 acceleration and velocity; a, u the 3 acceleration and velocity. It has 3 parts which I think I've answered correctly below, but need help with the last part.

So could you have a look and comment on it?

a) Prove that, in any inertial frame where a is orthogonal to u, [tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma^{2} (\textbf{a},0)[/tex], and conversely.

my answer:

[tex]\dot{\gamma}=\gamma^{3}/c^{2}\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u}[/tex]

[tex]\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma d\textbf{U}/dt = \gamma d/dt(\gamma\textbf{u},\gamma c) = \gamma(\dot{\gamma}\textbf{u} + \gamma\textbf{a}, \dot{\gamma}c ) [/tex]

and so

[tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma^{2} (\textbf{a},0)[/tex] --- (1)

which proves the first part.

Given (1), then

[tex] \dot{\gamma}c = 0 [/tex] and so

[tex]\dot{\gamma}=\gamma^{3}/c^{2}\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u} = 0 [/tex]

which is only possible for [tex]\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{u} = 0 [/tex]

Hence the converse is also true.

b) Deduce that for any instantaneous motion it is possible to find an inertial frame S_|_ in which a, u are orthogonal to one another.

my answer:

In s_|_ , [tex]\textbf{A}= \gamma^{2} (\textbf{a},0)[/tex]

I need to show [tex]\dot{\gamma}c[/tex] in A can transform to 0 in S_|_:

[tex]\gamma_{v}(\gamma_{u}\dot{\gamma_{u}} - v(\gamma_{u}\mathbf{a_{x}} + \dot{\gamma_{u}}\mathtbf{u_{x}})/c^{2}) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] v = \gamma_{u}\dot{\gamma_{u}}c^{2} / (\gamma_{u}\mathbf{a_{x}} + \dot{\gamma_{u}}\mathbf{u_{x}})[/tex]

[tex] v = \gamma_{u}^{4}\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{u} / (\gamma_{u}\mathbf{a_{x}} + \dot{\gamma_{u}}\mathbf{u_{x}})[/tex]--- (2)

Hence there exists a v and therefore s_|_.

c) Moreover, prove that there is a whole class of such frames, all moving relative to S_|_ in directions orthogonal to a.

My answer:

The stationary frame can be rotated giving a new a_x, u_x in (2) and hence another v and s_|_. But I can't show they're moving relative to S_|_ in directions orthogonal to a.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

I appreciate the effort you have put into answering the first two parts of the question. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved.

For the last part, you are correct that there is a whole class of frames that satisfy the conditions of being orthogonal to a and moving relative to S_|_ in directions orthogonal to a. This is because rotations in the plane orthogonal to a do not affect the orthogonality between a and u.

To show this, we can consider a rotation matrix R that rotates the frame S_|_ by an angle θ in the plane orthogonal to a. This rotation matrix can be written as:

R = \begin{bmatrix} \cos\theta & -\sin\theta & 0 \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}

Using this rotation matrix, we can transform the velocities a and u into the new frame S'_|_:

\mathbf{a}' = R\mathbf{a} = \begin{bmatrix} \cos\theta & -\sin\theta & 0 \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} a_x \\ a_y \\ a_z \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} a_x\cos\theta - a_y\sin\theta \\ a_x\sin\theta + a_y\cos\theta \\ a_z \end{bmatrix}

Similarly,

\mathbf{u}' = R\mathbf{u} = \begin{bmatrix} \cos\theta & -\sin\theta & 0 \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} u_x \\ u_y \\ u_z \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} u_x\cos\theta - u_y\sin\theta \\ u_x\sin\theta + u_y\cos\theta \\ u_z \end{bmatrix}

Since we are only interested in the plane orthogonal to a, we can ignore the z-components of a and u. This means that the dot product between a and u in the new frame S'_|_ is given

1. What is an acceleration 4 vector?

An acceleration 4 vector is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to describe the acceleration of an object in four dimensions, including time. It is represented by a four-dimensional vector with components of acceleration in the three spatial dimensions and in time.

2. How is an acceleration 4 vector different from a regular 3D acceleration vector?

An acceleration 4 vector takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity, whereas a regular 3D acceleration vector only describes changes in position over time. The 4 vector also includes a component of acceleration in the time dimension.

3. What is the equation for calculating an acceleration 4 vector?

The equation for calculating an acceleration 4 vector is a = (γ^3a, a_x, a_y, a_z), where γ is the Lorentz factor and a_x, a_y, and a_z are the components of acceleration in the three spatial dimensions.

4. Can an acceleration 4 vector have a negative value?

Yes, an acceleration 4 vector can have negative values. The direction of the vector indicates the direction of the acceleration, and negative values indicate acceleration in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

5. In what situations is it necessary to use an acceleration 4 vector?

An acceleration 4 vector is necessary when dealing with objects moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light, where the effects of special relativity are significant. It is also commonly used in relativistic mechanics and in the field of particle physics.