1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The acceleration amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator is given by
    $$A_{acc}(\omega) = \frac{QF_o}{m} \frac{\omega}{\omega _o} \sqrt{\it{R}(\omega)}$$
    Show that as ##\lim_{\omega\to\infty}, A_{acc}(\omega) = \frac{F_o}{m}##

2. Relevant equations
    $$\it{R}(\omega) = \frac{(\gamma \omega)^2}{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2} $$
    $$ Q = \frac{\omega _o}{\gamma}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    From substituting in the above equations into the formula and cancelling off, I've gotten this far
    $$\frac{F_o}{m} \frac{\omega ^2}{\sqrt{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2}}$$
    I'm fairly certain I haven't made any mistakes in my cancelling off. I don't see how the equation will tend to ##\frac{F_o}{m}## as surely ##\frac{\omega ^2}{\sqrt{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2}}## will go to zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at the denominator. What does it become when ##\omega## becomes very large? In other words, what is its ##\omega## dependence?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted