Acceleration amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator

In summary, the acceleration amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator is given by a formula involving the parameters Q, F_o, and m. As the angular frequency, omega, tends to infinity, the acceleration amplitude approaches the ratio of F_o and m. This can be seen by examining the denominator and noticing that it becomes negligible as omega increases.
TheBigDig

Homework Statement

The acceleration amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator is given by
$$A_{acc}(\omega) = \frac{QF_o}{m} \frac{\omega}{\omega _o} \sqrt{\it{R}(\omega)}$$
Show that as ##\lim_{\omega\to\infty}, A_{acc}(\omega) = \frac{F_o}{m}##

Homework Equations

$$\it{R}(\omega) = \frac{(\gamma \omega)^2}{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2} $$
$$ Q = \frac{\omega _o}{\gamma}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

From substituting in the above equations into the formula and cancelling off, I've gotten this far
$$\frac{F_o}{m} \frac{\omega ^2}{\sqrt{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2}}$$
I'm fairly certain I haven't made any mistakes in my cancelling off. I don't see how the equation will tend to ##\frac{F_o}{m}## as surely ##\frac{\omega ^2}{\sqrt{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2}}## will go to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the denominator. What does it become when ##\omega## becomes very large? In other words, what is its ##\omega## dependence?

1. What is the definition of acceleration amplitude?

Acceleration amplitude refers to the maximum acceleration experienced by a damped harmonic oscillator as it oscillates. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the acceleration and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s2).

2. How is acceleration amplitude related to damping in a harmonic oscillator?

The damping of a harmonic oscillator, which is the gradual decrease in amplitude over time, directly affects the acceleration amplitude. A higher damping coefficient results in a lower acceleration amplitude, while a lower damping coefficient leads to a higher acceleration amplitude.

3. How is acceleration amplitude calculated for a damped harmonic oscillator?

The acceleration amplitude can be calculated using the equation A = A0 e-ζωt, where A is the acceleration amplitude, A0 is the initial amplitude, ζ is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, and t is time.

4. What factors affect the acceleration amplitude in a damped harmonic oscillator?

The acceleration amplitude is influenced by several factors, such as the initial amplitude, damping coefficient, and angular frequency. Other factors that can affect it include the mass of the oscillator, the strength of the restoring force, and any external forces acting on the system.

5. How does the acceleration amplitude change over time in a damped harmonic oscillator?

The acceleration amplitude in a damped harmonic oscillator decreases over time due to the damping effect. This means that the maximum acceleration experienced by the oscillator decreases with each oscillation until it eventually reaches a steady-state value determined by the damping coefficient and angular frequency.