Acceleration amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
TheBigDig
Messages
65
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


The acceleration amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator is given by
$$A_{acc}(\omega) = \frac{QF_o}{m} \frac{\omega}{\omega _o} \sqrt{\it{R}(\omega)}$$
Show that as ##\lim_{\omega\to\infty}, A_{acc}(\omega) = \frac{F_o}{m}##

Homework Equations


$$\it{R}(\omega) = \frac{(\gamma \omega)^2}{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2} $$
$$ Q = \frac{\omega _o}{\gamma}$$

The Attempt at a Solution


From substituting in the above equations into the formula and cancelling off, I've gotten this far
$$\frac{F_o}{m} \frac{\omega ^2}{\sqrt{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2}}$$
I'm fairly certain I haven't made any mistakes in my cancelling off. I don't see how the equation will tend to ##\frac{F_o}{m}## as surely ##\frac{\omega ^2}{\sqrt{(\omega _o ^2 - \omega^2)^2 +(\gamma \omega)^2}}## will go to zero.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the denominator. What does it become when ##\omega## becomes very large? In other words, what is its ##\omega## dependence?