Acceleration and rotation of centrifuge

In summary, the acceleration at the end of a test tube 11 cm from the axis of rotation in a centrifuge rotating at 4200 rpm is 21278.87 m/s^2. To calculate the acceleration experienced by a test tube dropped from a height of 0.8 m and stopped in a 1.0 ms long encounter with a hard floor, the equation Yf = Yi + Viy(t) + 1/2 (a) (t^2) can be used. However, the attempt at solving this part resulted in an incorrect value of 1.6E6 m/s^2.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A typical laboratory centrifuge rotates at 4200 rpm. Test tubes have to be placed into a centrifuge very carefully because of the very large accelerators. a.) What is the acceleration at the end of a test tube that is 11 cm from the axis of rotation? b.) For comparison, what is the magnitude of the acceleration a test tube would experience if dropped from a height of .8 m and stopped in a 1.0 ms long encounter with a hard floor?

Homework Equations

w=2pi radians (f)
a = w^2 r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the frequency, then using the frequency to find w, which I got to be 439.823. Then I tried finding a, which I got to be 48.381.

Physics news on Phys.org
aligass2004 said:

Homework Statement

A typical laboratory centrifuge rotates at 4200 rpm. Test tubes have to be placed into a centrifuge very carefully because of the very large accelerators. a.) What is the acceleration at the end of a test tube that is 11 cm from the axis of rotation? b.) For comparison, what is the magnitude of the acceleration a test tube would experience if dropped from a height of .8 m and stopped in a 1.0 ms long encounter with a hard floor?

Homework Equations

w=2pi radians (f)
a = w^2 r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the frequency, then using the frequency to find w, which I got to be 439.823. Then I tried finding a, which I got to be 48.381.
you forgot to square the w term!

use T= 2(pi)(r)/v to get the velocity and then use a= v^2/r to get part a

And be sure to include your units.

I did forget to square the w term. I got 21278.87m/s^2 for part a.

For part b, I thought to just use Yf = Yi + Viy(t) + 1/2 (a) (t^2). I got 1.6E6 m/s^2, but it said it was wrong.

1. What is a centrifuge and how does it work?

A centrifuge is a laboratory instrument that spins samples at high speeds to separate components based on their density. It works by creating a centripetal force that pushes particles to the outer edge of the spinning chamber, allowing for separation of different substances.

2. How does acceleration affect centrifugation?

Acceleration, also known as the rate of change of velocity, plays a crucial role in centrifugation. The higher the acceleration, the faster the particles will move towards the outer edges of the spinning chamber, resulting in more efficient separation. This is why centrifuges have adjustable speed settings to control the acceleration.

3. How does the size and shape of a centrifuge impact its performance?

The size and shape of a centrifuge can greatly affect its performance. Larger centrifuges are able to hold more samples and have a higher capacity, while smaller ones are more portable and suitable for smaller samples. The shape can also impact the efficiency of separation, as different shapes create different levels of acceleration and force.

4. What is the relationship between rotation speed and centrifugal force?

The rotation speed of a centrifuge directly affects the amount of centrifugal force that is generated. As the speed increases, so does the force, resulting in faster and more efficient separation. However, it is important to note that there is a limit to how fast a centrifuge can spin before it becomes unstable.

5. How do scientists calculate the rotational speed and acceleration of a centrifuge?

Scientists calculate the rotational speed and acceleration of a centrifuge using mathematical formulas that take into account the radius of the centrifuge, the size and density of the particles being separated, and the desired force or acceleration. These calculations are important for determining the most effective settings for a specific sample and experiment.