1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the acceleration at 4000rpm!

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A typical laboratory centrifuge rotates at 4000 rpm. Test tubes have to be placed into a centrifuge very carefully because of the very large accelerations.What is the acceleration at the end of a test tube that is 10 cm from the axis of rotation?

2. Relevant equations
    No Clue

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the 10cm we are given isnt a radius, so i have no idea where we are to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2
    If you're in school, and have a textbook, i would suggest looking into Circular Motion and Gravitation, my textbook even has an example of the question your asking.

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    In not at school, my textbook doesnt have an example of it, i just need an equation for the work.

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4
    Your textbook would have an example. Your probably not looking in the right place. I'll give you a jumpstart. You need this equation to solve it. a=rw^2. you should be able to figure the rest out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook