Find the acceleration at 4000rpm

• Thread starter thedarkone80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, a laboratory centrifuge rotates at 4000 rpm and has a very large acceleration. When a test tube is placed 10 cm from the axis of rotation, the acceleration can be found using the equation a=rw^2, where r is the distance from the axis and w is the angular velocity.
thedarkone80

Homework Statement

A typical laboratory centrifuge rotates at 4000 rpm. Test tubes have to be placed into a centrifuge very carefully because of the very large accelerations.What is the acceleration at the end of a test tube that is 10 cm from the axis of rotation?

Homework Equations

No Clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the 10cm we are given isn't a radius, so i have no idea where we are to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're in school, and have a textbook, i would suggest looking into Circular Motion and Gravitation, my textbook even has an example of the question your asking.

In not at school, my textbook doesn't have an example of it, i just need an equation for the work.

Your textbook would have an example. Your probably not looking in the right place. I'll give you a jumpstart. You need this equation to solve it. a=rw^2. you should be able to figure the rest out.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration at 4000rpm?

The formula for calculating acceleration at 4000rpm is: acceleration = (change in velocity) / (time taken)

2. How do I convert rpm to angular velocity?

To convert rpm (revolutions per minute) to angular velocity, multiply the rpm by 2π/60. This will give you the angular velocity in radians per second.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate acceleration at different rpms?

Yes, the formula for calculating acceleration is the same regardless of the rpm. However, the change in velocity and time taken may vary depending on the specific rpm being measured.

4. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

5. Is there a standard range for acceleration at 4000rpm?

No, there is no standard range for acceleration at 4000rpm as it can vary depending on the specific system or object being measured. It is important to consider the context and factors such as mass and friction when analyzing acceleration at a specific rpm.