Acceleration Due to Gravity in Rocky Mountains

• Thread starter Scarborm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses a request for an exact measurement of the acceleration due to gravity at a specific location in the Rocky Mountain region. Various sources and methods for obtaining this measurement are suggested, including using gravity anomaly data, obtaining a gravimeter from a university, and using a superconducting gravity meter. Some humorous comments are also made, and apologies are given for any misunderstandings.
Scarborm
Hello All,

Would anyone happen to know where I can find an "exact" measurement of the acceleration due to gravity at a (almost) precise location on the Earth's surface? Anywhere in the Rocky Mountain region would be fine. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
a=9.81 m/s^2

Scarborm said:
Hello All,

Would anyone happen to know where I can find an "exact" measurement of the acceleration due to gravity at a (almost) precise location on the Earth's surface? Anywhere in the Rocky Mountain region would be fine. Thanks!

In the US,

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/gravity/bouguer/

looks like a good source (if you can get the ftp link to work)

but the data will be gravity anomaly data, there's some discussion of the formulas used in the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_anomaly

Google gives lots of other hits, too many to mention, some state specific.

Oh, just get yourself a simple gravimeter from your local university geology dept. and take your own measurements.

However, if you happen to have a load of liquid He and a lot of free time ( like 24 months just to read the manual), then I suggest you get a top of the line superconducting gravity meter from these guys:he,he :biggrin:
http://www.gwrinstruments.com/GWR_ctspec.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The "precise location of the Earth's surface"?? And where would that be? There's a heckuva lot of "earth's surface" in the region of the Rockies and a lot of people on Earth who would think it would be more reasonable to use the gravitational acceleration at sea leve rather than anywhere near the Rockies!

Edit- sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hows about going there yourself and using an ultra-fine weight scale, and standing on it, move on, do it again. But you might have to "Invent" to find a scale with that kind of accuracy.

Thanks Creator and Pervect-- The rest of you are quite useless, but thanks anyway!

Useless? humor is useless? somebody 'aughta tell you fella :smile:

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
Sorry. My english is not very good. I did not catch the humor, and I did not mean to sound like a jerk.

Scarborm said:
Sorry. My english is not very good. I did not catch the humor, and I did not mean to sound like a jerk.
You didn't, you aren't and My apologies if I seemed somewhat disconcerted in my attempt at humor.

Not as good at it, sometimes, as I would like to think myself, as being.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Related to Acceleration Due to Gravity in Rocky Mountains

What is the acceleration due to gravity in the Rocky Mountains?

The acceleration due to gravity in the Rocky Mountains varies depending on the elevation, but on average it is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This is the same as the acceleration due to gravity at sea level.

How does elevation affect the acceleration due to gravity in the Rocky Mountains?

As elevation increases in the Rocky Mountains, the acceleration due to gravity decreases slightly. This is because the further away an object is from the center of the Earth, the weaker the gravitational force on that object becomes.

Is the acceleration due to gravity different in the Rocky Mountains compared to other locations?

No, the acceleration due to gravity is the same at any location on Earth, including the Rocky Mountains. The only factor that affects the acceleration due to gravity is the elevation, which can cause a slight variation.

How is the acceleration due to gravity in the Rocky Mountains measured?

The acceleration due to gravity in the Rocky Mountains can be measured using a simple pendulum or a free-fall experiment. These methods involve timing the motion of an object under the influence of gravity and using mathematical formulas to calculate the acceleration due to gravity.

Are there any other factors that can affect the acceleration due to gravity in the Rocky Mountains?

Aside from elevation, there are no other factors that significantly affect the acceleration due to gravity in the Rocky Mountains. However, local geological features such as mountains or valleys can cause slight variations in the acceleration due to gravity due to their mass distribution.