Acceleration of the system and the tension T in the string

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
blackboy
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two masses m1 and m2 situated on a frictionless, horizontal surface are connected by a light string. A force F is exerted on one of the masses to the right. Determine the acceleration of the system and the tension T in the string.


Homework Equations


F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I got a=F/(m1+m2). I think that is right. For the tension part, I got a little bit stuck. I finally got T=m1a because it is just moving m1. So T=Fm1/(m1+m2). Is this right? I don't think it is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I sounds correct to me, too. I am assuming that m2 is experiencing the force, and m1 is following m2.