1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerations (kinematic analysis)

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    Hi there;

I guess this must be really easy and obvious but I just can't seem to be able to figure it out right now. I need to find (grapho-analytically) the acceleration of B (which is obviously the same as of C) in the position show in the picture. [tex]v_1=2 m/s[/tex] is the input velocity.

650knt.jpg

Data:
    [tex]|AB|=0.068 [m],
    |BC|=0.06 [m],
    |CS_3 |=0.088 [m],
    |S_3 D|=0.088 [m],
    v_1=2 [m/s]
    [/tex]

I calculated all the velocities:

[tex]
    v_{B1}=2 [m/s],
    v_{B2}=3.111 [m/s],
    v_{B2/B1}=2.384 [m/s],
    v_C=3.111 [m/s],
    v_{S3}=1.555 [m/s],
    [/tex]

[tex]\omega_3=\frac{v_C}{|CD|}=\frac{3.111}{0.176}=17.676 [1/s][/tex]

As for the accelerations, certainly the acceleration of A is zero ([tex]v_1=const[/tex]). Also, the normal component of the acceleration of C:

[tex]a_C^n=\omega_3^2\cdot{|CD|}=54.989 [m/s^2][/tex]

And here I am a bit lost. It looks like slider#2 is accelerating with respect to slideway#1. Any thoughts? I analyzed the structure in SAM, and the absolute acceleration of B (and C) is [tex]85.574 m/s^2[/tex]. What other accelerations should I consider? Thanks in advance for taking your time.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2
    Okay, I already figured it out....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook