What is the ultimate truth about the universe?

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
In summary, physicists and mathematicians believe that before humans die out, we will one day understand the universe on a deeper level than what we currently know. However, there is a possibility that this understanding will not be attained until after humans have died out. Furthermore, if we don't have a fundamental theory of the universe by the time this happens, it could be very strange.
uperkurk
As physicists and mathematicians, do you honestly believe that before humans die out, we will ever understand what the universe really is. What is behond it, if anything. Are there more universes. What is at the very bottom of a black hole.

I mean, physics and maths can only prove so much, but there gets a point where the only way to prove somethin is to see it with your own eyes.

Realistically, do you guys ever see humanity figuring this stuff out before our time is up?

:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, physics/science cannot answer every possible question, particularly "why" questions. But what's with the rolleyes? So what?

Because I hope by the time I die I get to know what the universe is. The rolleyes is more of a "deep thought" emot

Isn't the more universes part of the string theory thing?

Maybe someday they will be able to have a real life start trek crew that explores space, that would be cool.

uperkurk said:
Because I hope by the time I die I get to know what the universe is.

Your question is so vague as to be meaningless. What could an answer possibly look like?

uperkurk said:
As physicists and mathematicians, do you honestly believe that before humans die out, we will ever understand what the universe really is. What is behond it, if anything. Are there more universes. What is at the very bottom of a black hole.

I mean, physics and maths can only prove so much, but there gets a point where the only way to prove somethin is to see it with your own eyes.

Realistically, do you guys ever see humanity figuring this stuff out before our time is up?

I haven't the slightest idea what humanity will known 10,000 years from now, much less ten million.

uperkurk said:

A mild and vague "uperkurk of the gap" version. Sidenote: Rough estimate and analysis. "Are we able to?"...

My philosophy of physics is similar to my philosophy of travel: the fun is more in the journey, than in the destination.

uperkurk said:
Because I hope by the time I die I get to know what the universe is.
You've put two completely different time lines in this thread, fisrt you said

and now it's before you die. Before you die, I'd say NO.

No matter how much we understand anything, people can always generate more and more questions and thereby work themselves into a state where they feel we don't understand anything.

I understand exactly what the universe is. Banana pudding. One simply enjoys banana pudding and doesn't contemplate what an empty bowl means. Mmm...pudding...

jtbell said:
My philosophy of physics is similar to my philosophy of travel: the fun is more in the journey, than in the destination.
Related comic

I see some reasonable probability that humans will be able to find a fundamental theory of the universe which covers all known (current+future) fundamental phenomena in the next 200 years. This would not be the end of physics, but it would mean particle physics and cosmology would have nothing unexpected left to discover.
I think it is meaningless to talk about "truth", "reality" and similar things in physics, therefore such a theory would be the best possible achievement of fundamental physics.
If we don't have such a theory in 200 years, I have no idea how strange it might be, and if it can be discovered at all.

It's highly likely imo that there will always be new things in science to understand.

This would require an infinite number of things to understand, or a certain point (might be extremely far away) after which nothing else is found.

And that for the basic laws of physics? I would not expect this.
For applications of physics? I agree.

Related to What is the ultimate truth about the universe?

What is the ultimate truth about the universe?

The ultimate truth about the universe is a complex and ongoing topic of scientific research and philosophical debate. Currently, there is no one answer or consensus on what the ultimate truth may be.

How did the universe begin?

The most widely accepted theory for the beginning of the universe is the Big Bang Theory, which proposes that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly, creating the vast expanse of space and time that we see today. However, there are other theories and ongoing research that seek to further understand the origins of the universe.

What is the ultimate fate of the universe?

Scientists have proposed several theories about the ultimate fate of the universe, including the Big Crunch, Heat Death, and the Big Rip. However, it is still uncertain which of these theories, if any, will ultimately prove to be true.

Is there life on other planets?

While there is currently no definitive evidence of extraterrestrial life, many scientists believe that it is likely that there is life on other planets in the vast expanse of the universe. Ongoing research and exploration of other planets and moons in our own solar system may provide more insight into this question.

What is the role of humans in the universe?

This is a philosophical question that is still widely debated. From a scientific perspective, humans are a relatively new species on Earth and our understanding of the universe is constantly evolving. Some may argue that our role is to continue to explore and understand the universe, while others may believe that our role is determined by our own beliefs and values. Ultimately, the answer to this question may vary depending on individual perspectives.