Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accepting realisation

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    As physicists and mathematicians, do you honestly believe that before humans die out, we will ever understand what the universe really is. What is behond it, if anything. Are there more universes. What is at the very bottom of a black hole.

I mean, physics and maths can only prove so much, but there gets a point where the only way to prove somethin is to see it with your own eyes.

Realistically, do you guys ever see humanity figuring this stuff out before our time is up?

:rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, physics/science cannot answer every possible question, particularly "why" questions. But what's with the rolleyes? So what?

4. Dec 29, 2012 #3
    Because I hope by the time I die I get to know what the universe is. The rolleyes is more of a "deep thought" emot

5. Dec 29, 2012 #4
    Isn't the more universes part of the string theory thing?

Maybe someday they will be able to have a real life start trek crew that explores space, that would be cool.

6. Dec 29, 2012 #5
    Your question is so vague as to be meaningless. What could an answer possibly look like?

7. Dec 29, 2012 #6
    I haven't the slightest idea what humanity will known 10,000 years from now, much less ten million.

8. Dec 30, 2012 #7
    A mild and vague "uperkurk of the gap" version. Sidenote: Rough estimate and analysis. "Are we able to?"...

9. Dec 30, 2012 #8

jtbell

My philosophy of physics is similar to my philosophy of travel: the fun is more in the journey, than in the destination.

10. Dec 30, 2012 #9

Evo

You've put two completely different time lines in this thread, fisrt you said
    and now it's before you die. Before you die, I'd say NO.

11. Dec 30, 2012 #10
    No matter how much we understand anything, people can always generate more and more questions and thereby work themselves into a state where they feel we don't understand anything.

12. Dec 30, 2012 #11

Drakkith

I understand exactly what the universe is. Banana pudding. One simply enjoys banana pudding and doesn't contemplate what an empty bowl means. Mmm...pudding...

13. Dec 30, 2012 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Related comic

I see some reasonable probability that humans will be able to find a fundamental theory of the universe which covers all known (current+future) fundamental phenomena in the next 200 years. This would not be the end of physics, but it would mean particle physics and cosmology would have nothing unexpected left to discover.
    I think it is meaningless to talk about "truth", "reality" and similar things in physics, therefore such a theory would be the best possible achievement of fundamental physics.
    If we don't have such a theory in 200 years, I have no idea how strange it might be, and if it can be discovered at all.

14. Dec 30, 2012 #13
    It's highly likely imo that there will always be new things in science to understand.

15. Dec 30, 2012 #14

mfb

2016 Award

This would require an infinite number of things to understand, or a certain point (might be extremely far away) after which nothing else is found.

And that for the basic laws of physics? I would not expect this.
    For applications of physics? I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook