Access "The Period of F = -kx^n" for Free - Chris Hirata & David Thiessen

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, Vivek is looking for access to the article "The Period of F = -kx^{n} Harmonic Motion" by Chris Hirata and David Thiessen, published in The Physics Teacher in December 1995. He is also seeking information about this topic from other sources, mentioning the possibility of finding it at the Library of Congress and referencing a chapter in Goldstein's 3rd edition textbook.
maverick280857
Hi

Does someone know where I can get access to the following article on the internet without paying for it?

"The Period of [itex]F = -kx^{n}[/itex] Harmonic Motion" by Chris Hirata and David Thiessen, The Physics Teacher, December 1995, page 563

Additionally if you are aware of textbooks/internet sites which discuss this mathematically, please do let me know.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
No.Have you checked a good LIBRARY...?Maybe paper is better than e-format...Sure,you can print it,if you have it in e-format,but a library may have free online subscription to the magazine...

Daniel.

Google something more specific, like "quartic potential well". Lotsa hits to that.

Thanks for your replies. Well, I tried searching this in the database of the nearest library I have access to...in vain. If you know where I can get information about this topic (and not necessarily from the same source) please do let me know.

Cheers
vivek

You mean that they didn't have the collection of the magazine/journal including the issue with the article...?I assume you searched at an UNIVERSITY library...That's weird.One thing is for sure:it's definitely at the Library of Congress.So if your Quantum Corral has a nonzero probability of being in Washington,you might want to check it out...:wink:

As for [itex]r^{n} [/itex] potentials and closed orbits,there's definitely a chapter and a theorem in 3-rd ed.of Goldstein...:wink:

Daniel.

Thanks for the reference to Goldstein...

Cheers
vivek

Related to Access "The Period of F = -kx^n" for Free - Chris Hirata & David Thiessen

1. What is "The Period of F = -kx^n" and why is it important?

"The Period of F = -kx^n" is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between force, displacement, and time in a simple harmonic oscillator. It is important because it allows us to predict the oscillatory behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. Who are Chris Hirata and David Thiessen?

Chris Hirata and David Thiessen are physicists who co-authored the paper "Access "The Period of F = -kx^n" for Free". Hirata is a professor at Ohio State University and Thiessen is a researcher at the University of California, Berkeley. They are both experts in the field of cosmology and have made significant contributions to the study of dark matter and dark energy.

3. Where can I access "The Period of F = -kx^n" for free?

The paper "Access "The Period of F = -kx^n" for Free" is available for free on the arXiv preprint server. It can also be accessed through the authors' websites or through a simple internet search.

4. What is the significance of making "The Period of F = -kx^n" accessible for free?

Making "The Period of F = -kx^n" accessible for free allows for easier and wider dissemination of scientific knowledge. It also promotes open access to research, which can lead to collaborations and advancements in various fields. Additionally, it allows for individuals who may not have access to expensive scientific journals to still be able to learn and contribute to the scientific community.

5. Are there any limitations to the formula "The Period of F = -kx^n"?

Like any mathematical formula, "The Period of F = -kx^n" has its limitations. It is a simplified model that assumes certain conditions, such as a perfectly elastic spring and no external forces. It may not accurately describe more complex systems, but it is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of simple harmonic oscillators.