Accumulated rotation over time

In summary, the conversation discusses how to represent and keep track of the rotation of an object that rotates arbitrarily during a period of time. The question is how to accurately determine the accumulated rotation and if it can be projected onto an arbitrary axis to determine the number of times the object turned around that axis. The solution may involve keeping track of the total rotation in each of the three orthogonal referential axes and applying the 'negatives' when all rotations are completed. The conversation also considers the concept of minimal rotation and how it is difficult to compare different rotations. The topic may require further study in geometric topology.
DanielKO
Assume an object rotates arbitrarily during some time (that is, not just along a single axis). At any given instant I would like know how much it rotated, so I could, for example, rotate it back to its original rotation with a spring (with torque proportional to the total angular displacement).

My question is, what representation should I use for the accumulated rotation, integrated over time from the angular displacements? Can such representation be "projected" on an arbitrary axis to answer "how many times did the object turn around this axis"?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You haven't given enough information. How are you given the "rotation". That is, you can be given the rate of rotation as a real-valued function of time but how are you given the axis of rotation at each instant?

This could be very complicated depending on the degree of freedom the object has. Is there a fixed center of rotation, i.e. a point where all axes of rotation meet?

They could be anything, whatever makes it easier to accomplish the final result: be able to tell how many times the object needs to turn on some axis to reach the initial orientation (I know that after the complete revolutions are finished the problem can be trivially solved).

For example, it could have the initial rotation described as a (unit) quaternion; and the rotations over time as constant angular velocity vectors + duration of each rotation, or just angle-axis rotations (with angles not restricted to [tex]\left[-\pi, \pi\right][/tex]).

If I had the final rotation axis from start, I believe I could just project the angular velocities along that axis; but can't obtain this axis until all rotations are done (it should be the minimum rotation to reach the initial configuration).

Indeed, Werg22, I forgot to mention, all rotations are around the same center; other axes would just translate the object somewhere else, which is not important, only the orientation.

I am not very sure about I'm about to say, but it comes from a notion one of my profs once mentioned. Essentially, when the center of rotation is fixed, you can decompose any rotation with respect to three orthogonal referential axes, very much in the same way a translation in space can be decomposed in three components. The problem then reduces to keep track of the total rotation in each of the three axes and then simply take the 'negatives' and applying them when all is done.

Werg22 said:
The problem then reduces to keep track of the total rotation in each of the three axes and then simply take the 'negatives' and applying them when all is done.

I understand that infinitesimal rotations are commutative. But I don't think they apply here. Take this example:

Assuming a right-hand system, rotate the object 90° around Z (axis (0,0,1)). Then 90° around Y (axis (0,1,0)). At this point you should have the object's X axis on the world's Y axis, the object's Y on the world's Z, and the object's Z on world's X. The minimum rotation to reach this configuration is 120° around the (1,1,1) axis. How adding the two previous rotations could come to this answer? This particular case is equivalent to finding the minimum rotation between two quaternions.

Now take the same example, but perform a rotation of 450° instead of 90° around Z. What should the answer be? The final orientation is the same, but I would like to "undo" the full rotation around the Z axis, so the previous solution isn't acceptable here.

I see. You need to keep track of full rotations, not just the angle difference. Now, is a rotation of 90 degree in one direction followed by a rotation of 90 degree in the opposite equivalent to no rotation at all?

After thinking about this for a while, I don't think there's even a "minimal" rotation through a single axis. I'm not even sure what such minimal rotation would be; that is, how to compare different rotations. Intuitively I would think that a rotation performed by a physical angular spring in 3 DOF, if there was something like this, but I have no idea how to express this mathematically; probably would need much more math than I understand right now.

In 2D one can easily adapt the rotation performed by complex numbers in the unit circle to points in a spiral. Each rotation then takes a point in the spiral into another point in the spiral in such a way that the distance from the origin tells us how much it rotated from the initial position. For a moment I thought this could be somehow extended to non-unit quaternions.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestion of what I should try to study to at least better understand this problem. Probably something involving geometric topology, right?

What is accumulated rotation over time?

Accumulated rotation over time is the total amount of rotation that has occurred over a specific period, usually measured in degrees or radians. It takes into account all the rotations that have happened during that period, regardless of the direction or magnitude of the rotation.

What causes accumulated rotation over time?

Accumulated rotation over time is typically caused by the repeated application of rotational forces on an object. These forces can come from a variety of sources, such as a spinning wheel, a rotating motor, or the Earth's rotation.

How is accumulated rotation over time measured?

Accumulated rotation over time is measured using angular units such as degrees or radians. These units represent the amount of rotation that has occurred, with one full rotation being equivalent to 360 degrees or 2π radians.

What are some real-world examples of accumulated rotation over time?

Accumulated rotation over time can be seen in many everyday objects and processes. For example, the odometer in a car measures the accumulated rotation of the wheels over time to calculate the distance traveled. In a wind turbine, the blades accumulate rotation over time to generate electricity. And in the human body, joints accumulate rotation over time to allow for movement.

Can accumulated rotation over time be reversed?

Yes, accumulated rotation over time can be reversed by applying a rotation in the opposite direction. This is known as a counterclockwise or negative rotation. However, it is important to note that the total amount of accumulated rotation over time cannot be changed, only the direction of the rotation can be reversed.