Achlya ambisexualis Cloning: Need Information

• Thread starter kalladin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's difficulty in finding background information on the organism Achlya ambisexualis for their report on cloning experiments. The other person offers potential sources and suggests looking into the organism's life history, evolution, and use in science. They also mention the significance of the organism's actin gene and provide further resources to explore, including studies on its heterothallic reproduction and pheromone.
kalladin
I've been doing cloning experiments with Achlya ambisexualis. I'm writing a report but I haven't been able to find any background information whatsoever for the organism. I know it's an oomycete and therefore can write some stuff up about them.. but I can't find any specific info on this organism on google scholar or pubmed. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers

K

Biology news on Phys.org
What kind of information are you looking for...life history, evolution, use in science...? There were numeorus articles on that species in both Pubmed and google, but these generally focus less on the fungus and more on what is being done to it. I assume you want to give general intro about the species, which may be best performed, as you state, by an overview of filamentous aquatic fungi in general which you can gain from related species.

Thanks Doc,

Yeah I need it for an introduction to the report. What I've done was basically talk about oomycetes and its research significance.. then focused in on the gene we cloned (in this case it is actin gene). As of now my intro is pretty lame :(

K.

This organism's http://annual.sp2000.org/2005/SF-250636-show_species_details.html )
Here is something you may want to check out... ]John Raper and Alma Barksdale[/url] unravelled the details of heterothallic reproduction using this organism. The pheromone http://www-chem.ucsd.edu/Faculty/bios/mcmorris.html is also an important part of its physiology.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Achlya ambisexualis?

Achlya ambisexualis is a species of water mold, also known as a fungus-like organism, that is commonly found in freshwater environments. It is a single-celled organism that is known for its ability to reproduce both sexually and asexually.

2. What is cloning and how does it relate to Achlya ambisexualis?

Cloning is the process of creating an exact genetic replica of an organism. In the case of Achlya ambisexualis, cloning refers to the reproduction of this species through asexual means, specifically by cutting and reattaching pieces of its mycelium (a network of filaments that make up the body of the organism).

3. Why is it important to study Achlya ambisexualis cloning?

Studying the cloning process of Achlya ambisexualis can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of asexual reproduction in other organisms. It can also contribute to our understanding of genetic diversity and evolution within this species.

4. What is the potential impact of Achlya ambisexualis cloning on the environment?

While Achlya ambisexualis is a common and widespread organism, its cloning process could potentially lead to overpopulation in certain environments. This could have negative effects on other species that rely on the same resources.

5. How can the information about Achlya ambisexualis cloning be applied in other areas of research?

The study of Achlya ambisexualis cloning can have applications in various fields, including biotechnology and medicine. It can also inform our understanding of other organisms that have the ability to reproduce both sexually and asexually.