Exploring Art of Acid Etching Steel Knife Blades

In summary, someone suggested using the photoresist etching method used for making PCBs. This method gives fairly sharp edges. Ferric Chloride, sold at Radio Shack as an etchant for electronic boards is commonly used as an etchant for knife blades. Fingernail polish can be used to mask the line you scribe in the fingernail polish after etching.
334dave
hi , i am newbie here and reading through i find it ... stimulating..

now as to what brought me here..
i have wanted to look into art form of acid etching different knids of tempered steel
used in stainless knife blades..

does anyone there know what mask coating will take a fine line scribed in it yet still give me a good sharp edge and what acids are best or safest to use..

i have Googled the subject and find nothing related to art acid etching or instructions or how to
only the photo / electro marking systems which do not produce fine sharp edges ..
also if some one knows of a site devoted to this a url would be nice..
thanks !

Chemistry news on Phys.org
btt anyone know? or should i check a diff forum?

btt still looking..any one?

I'd suggest using the photoresist etching method used for making PCBs.
It does give fairly sharp edges (look at a circuit board), if done correctly.

Ferric Chloride, sold at Radio Shack as an etchant for electronic boards is commonly used as an etchant for knife blades. I dilute mine about 4 parts water to 1 part Ferric Chloride. Also it etches faster if the solution is heated to about 150 degrees or so.

For a mask coat you can use fingernail polish. When dry scribe your line in it. After etching remove the fingernail polish with acetone. I use Red nail polish because it is easy to see and easy to make sure you have all of it removed.

I also have a written procedure for etching using a salt solution and an electrical current, works well for small stuff but remember that introducing an electrical current into salt water produces chlorine gas. You have to make your own stencil though but that can be done with scotch tape.

1. What is acid etching and how does it work?

Acid etching is a process used to create designs or patterns on metal surfaces by using an acid solution to eat away at the exposed areas. It involves applying a resist material, such as wax or paint, onto the metal surface and then exposing it to an acid solution, which will eat away at the exposed areas and leave behind the desired design.

2. What types of acid are commonly used for etching steel knife blades?

The most commonly used acids for etching steel knife blades are ferric chloride and nitric acid. Ferric chloride is a milder acid and is more suitable for beginners, while nitric acid is stronger and can etch deeper into the metal.

3. How do I prepare the steel knife blade for acid etching?

The steel knife blade must be thoroughly cleaned and degreased before the acid etching process. This can be done by using a degreasing solvent or by scrubbing the blade with a mixture of vinegar and salt. It is also important to protect any areas of the blade that you do not want etched by applying a resist material.

4. Can I create my own designs for acid etching on steel knife blades?

Yes, you can create your own designs for acid etching on steel knife blades. You can use stencils, freehand drawing, or even digital design software to create your desired design. Just make sure to transfer the design onto the blade accurately before applying the resist material.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when acid etching steel knife blades?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when acid etching steel knife blades. This includes wearing protective gloves and eyewear, working in a well-ventilated area, and carefully handling the acid solution. It is also important to properly dispose of the acid solution after use.