Adding Angular Momenta: Rules of Thumb?

• Thread starter Heirot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the conversation discusses the rules for determining the symmetry of states after the addition of angular momenta. For products of two identical angular momenta, the largest state is symmetric and they alternate between symmetric and antisymmetric as you go down. For three or more, there are more complex symmetry classes to consider. The highest resulting angular momentum is always fully symmetric. A recommended resource for further understanding is the discussion in Jones-Groups representations and physics.
Heirot
Hello,

I was wondering is there a way (a rule of the thumb, perhaps) to tell which states after addition of angular momenta are (anti)symmetric?

For example:

1/2 x 1/2 = 1 + 0, 1 is a symmetric triplet state, while 0 is an antisymmetric singlet state.

How does this generalize to, e.g.

1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 3/2 + 1/2 + 1/2, or
1 x 1 = 2 + 1 + 0?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the product of two identical ang.mom., the largest is symmetric, then they alternate between sym and anti-sym as you go down.

For three or more, you have more complex symmetry classes to deal with (eg Young tableaux are useful). But the highest resulting ang.mom. is always fully symmetric (the Young tableaux is a single row).

I would recommend the discussion in Jones-Groups representations and physics (I think it's ch8) for a very easy going introduction to this stuff.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that is a product of an object's mass, velocity, and radius.

What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

What are the rules of thumb for adding angular momenta?

The rules of thumb for adding angular momenta are:

• If the two angular momenta are in the same direction, add them together.
  • If the two angular momenta are in opposite directions, subtract the smaller one from the larger one.
  • If the two angular momenta are at right angles to each other, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the resultant angular momentum.

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

How is angular momentum related to rotational inertia?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to rotational inertia. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a larger angular momentum for the same angular velocity.