Adding Auxillery input to a car stereo

• Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Input
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adding an auxiliary input to a car stereo to avoid using an FM transmitter, which can be a hassle and may cause interference. The speaker shares a link to a tutorial for adding an aux input through soldering, but could not find the necessary chip. They also consider using the FM antenna input, but are told that it is not possible. The conversation then suggests using an FM modulator, which can be purchased at stores that sell car audio equipment. The speaker also mentions adapters for tape decks that allow for adding an aux input.
bassplayer142
I have a pioneer kdc-217 stereo for my car. Currently I use an fm transmitter and it works fine but it is just a hassle to get out and I get some interference. I found a link online on how to add a aux input by basically soldering a 1/8 inch jack to a chip that has a right line and left line input. I just got done stripping my whole unit apart and I searched online about each individual chip and I couldn't find jack (pun intended). As I put it back together I saw the fm antenna line input and I was thinking that there might be a way to have the singnal come in through there. Is there a way to take a stereo signal and convert it to the signal that fm takes and then convert it back to audio? This is the link I used.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/08/how_to_adding_auxiliary_i.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No, there's no way to put a line level input through an antenna input.

- Warren

Try searching google for "FM Modulator".
Basically a FM transmitter that plugs into the Antenna jack on the car radio and also has stereo jacks for your audio equipment.

You can probably buy one any place that sells car audio.

So it is like a fm transmitter only it doesn't transmit the signal wirelessly? Thanks for your help

Depending on the car, people might make adapters. I bought myself a tape deck ($250!)so I could solder a headphones jack into it and then a few months later hobbyists started manufacturing adapters that plug into the tape deck plug. http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

1. How do I add an auxiliary input to my car stereo?

Adding an auxiliary input to your car stereo typically involves purchasing an auxiliary adapter or cable and connecting it to the auxiliary input port on your car stereo. This port is usually located on the front or back of the stereo and is labeled "AUX" or "AUX IN". Consult your car stereo's manual for specific instructions on how to connect the auxiliary input.

2. What is the purpose of adding an auxiliary input to a car stereo?

An auxiliary input allows you to connect external audio devices, such as smartphones, MP3 players, or portable CD players, to your car stereo. This allows you to play music or audio from these devices through your car's speakers, providing a more convenient and versatile listening experience.

3. Can I add an auxiliary input to any car stereo?

Not all car stereos have an auxiliary input port, so it is important to check if your car stereo has this feature before attempting to add one. If your car stereo does not have an auxiliary input, you may be able to use a wireless adapter or FM transmitter to achieve a similar result.

4. Do I need any special tools or equipment to add an auxiliary input to my car stereo?

The tools and equipment needed to add an auxiliary input to your car stereo will depend on the specific adapter or cable you are using. In general, you may need a screwdriver, wire strippers, and possibly a soldering iron. It is important to carefully read the instructions for your chosen adapter or cable and gather all necessary tools and equipment before beginning the installation process.

5. Is it difficult to add an auxiliary input to a car stereo?

The difficulty level of adding an auxiliary input to a car stereo can vary depending on the specific adapter or cable being used and the individual's level of technical expertise. In general, the process involves connecting a few wires and may require some basic knowledge of car audio systems. If you are not comfortable with DIY projects or are unsure about the process, it is recommended to seek professional assistance.