Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding Radius of Gyration values?

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    Hi There
    I am doing a little test program for some tire testing and just need to make sure I am doing something right, I am calculating the radius of gyration of my tire and wheel separately using the formulas from Dunlop http://www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/tech_support/dunlop-engineering-data.aspx So I have a value of k for the tire and wheel, do I just add those two together to get the combined radius? I do that currently but it leaves me with a value of k that is outside the radius of the tyre, ie for a tire whose diameter is 0.36m I get a k value for the rim of 0.201 and for the tire of 0.239 so combined it comes to 0.44 which feels wrong to me. Can anyone see where I am going wrong?
    Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The gyradius r is based on the mass of a rotating object and its moment of inertia about the axis of rotation, such that:

r2 = I / M

where

I - moment of inertia
    M - mass of the object

Your tire and wheel probably have two different masses, so the proper calculation would be to convert the gyradius of each component to a moment of inertia, using the correct masses, add the moments together, and then calculate the gyradius of the combined assembly, like so:

Itire = Mtire*rtire2
    Iwheel = Mwheel*rwheel2

Itotal = Itire + Iwheel

Mtotal = Mtire + Mwheel

rtotal = (Itotal / Mtotal)1/2

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3
    Many thanks for the quick reply, that looks more sensible, will give that a try. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook