1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding Series, What is wrong here?

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With binomial expansions,
    [itex]\frac{x}{1-x}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=\infty}_{n=1}[/itex]xn
    [itex]\frac{x}{x-1}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=\infty}_{n=0}[/itex]x-n

Adding these series yields:

[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=\infty}_{n=-\infty}[/itex]xn=0
    This is nonsense, but what went wrong here?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Obviously, [itex]\frac{x}{1-x}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{x}{x-1}[/itex]=0 (1)

It's clear that they tried to transform [itex]\frac{x}{x-1}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=\infty}_{n=0}[/itex]x-n into [itex]\frac{x}{x-1}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=0}_{n=-\infty}[/itex]xn and then substitute into equation (1) and get an answer of zero.

From there, I'm not sure how in the world they manipulated that series to get a neg. infinity to show up in the limits, and where the mistake in that is.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The second is wrong. x- 1= -(1- x) so the second series is just
    [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty -x^n[/itex], not [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty x^{-n}[/itex].

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first series converges only if |x| < 1. The second converges only if |x| > 1. Therefore there is no x for which you can add the series and get a meaningful result.

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4
    I don't understand this. I realize this myself, and if I were deriving the series myself, I'd use that technique and get the same result you. Also, when I use Maple to get the series, the result also matches yours. But, reference tables I have on hand show series matching what was printed in the homework.

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If |x| > 1, then
    [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} x^{-n} = \frac{1}{1 - x^{-1}} = \frac{x}{x - 1}[/tex]
    so the series expansion is correct. The problem is that the region of convergence is incompatible with that of the first series.

7. Sep 21, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you expand x/(1-x) as a series in t = 1/x you will get the printed result. One expansion applies for small |x| and the other applies for large |x|.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook