What is the formula for adding a sequence of consecutive numbers?

In summary: Yes, there is a pattern - the dots are arranged in a staircase. The number of dots in the first line is the sum of the number of dots in the second and third lines, and so on.
shina

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

hey hello every one I want to ask a question that is add 1+2+3+4.....10000000. I think its very easy. for example let us add first 5 numbers 1+2+3+4+5 now we can find a pattern that adding first and last digit will be always same. for example 5+1=4+2 and similarly but it is a odd number that we can Ind easily by simple maths. so here we can multiply 6(addition of first and last number)×2(number of pairs) +3 because it is odd number

Physics news on Phys.org
shina said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

hey hello every one I want to ask a question that is add 1+2+3+4.....10000000. I think its very easy. for example let us add first 5 numbers 1+2+3+4+5 now we can find a pattern that adding first and last digit will be always same. for example 5+1=4+2 and similarly but it is a odd number that we can Ind easily by simple maths. so here we can multiply 6(addition of first and last number)×2(number of pairs) +3 because it is odd
number

I know I should write question separately but I couldn't

So what is your question? Is it simply "how do you add 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n" ? If so, you need to show some attempt to do this yourself. HINT: it is trivially easy.

shina said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

hey hello every one I want to ask a question that is add 1+2+3+4.....10000000. I think its very easy. for example let us add first 5 numbers 1+2+3+4+5 now we can find a pattern that adding first and last digit will be always same. for example 5+1=4+2 and similarly but it is a odd number that we can Ind easily by simple maths. so here we can multiply 6(addition of first and last number)×2(number of pairs) +3 because it is odd number
The pairing of the greatest with the smallest number and working inwards looks fine.
Can you derive a formula for it, say 1+2+...+n for even n?
And for odd n, what happens if you apply your formula then on n-1 and add n separately?

fresh_42 said:
Can you derive a formula for it, say 1+2+...+n for even n?
Yes. For ANY n. Try it. We don't spoon feed answers here, you have to show some work.

You may try to guess the formula by visualising the pattern. For example, draw one dot in the first line, two dots in the second, so on and so forth. Can you observe any pattern of the total number of dots?

1. How do you add large numbers?

To add large numbers, start by lining up the numbers based on their place values. Then, add the numbers in the ones place, carrying over any digits to the next column if necessary. Continue this process for each column until all the numbers have been added.

2. What is the best method for adding big numbers?

The most efficient method for adding large numbers is by using the standard algorithm, also known as the traditional method. This involves lining up the numbers and adding them column by column, carrying over digits as needed.

3. How do you handle regrouping when adding big numbers?

When adding large numbers, regrouping may be necessary when the sum in a column is greater than 9. In this case, the extra digit is carried over to the next column. For example, when adding 9 + 8, the sum would be 17. The 1 is then carried over to the next column and added to the next set of numbers.

4. Can mental math be used to add large numbers?

Mental math can be used to add large numbers, but it may be more difficult and prone to errors. It is recommended to use a written or visual method, such as the standard algorithm, for adding big numbers.

5. What is the importance of place value when adding big numbers?

Place value is crucial when adding large numbers because it determines the value of each digit. Without considering place value, it would be impossible to accurately add numbers with multiple digits. Place value also helps with regrouping and carrying over digits during the addition process.