1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of big numbers

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    hey hello every one I want to ask a question that is add 1+2+3+4..............10000000. I think its very easy. for example let us add first 5 numbers 1+2+3+4+5 now we can find a pattern that adding first and last digit will be always same. for example 5+1=4+2 and similarly but it is a odd number that we can Ind easily by simple maths. so here we can multiply 6(addition of first and last number)×2(number of pairs) +3 because it is odd number

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

I know I should write question separately but I couldn't

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So what is your question? Is it simply "how do you add 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n" ? If so, you need to show some attempt to do this yourself. HINT: it is trivially easy.

5. Nov 1, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The pairing of the greatest with the smallest number and working inwards looks fine.
    Can you derive a formula for it, say 1+2+...+n for even n?
    And for odd n, what happens if you apply your formula then on n-1 and add n separately?

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. For ANY n. Try it. We don't spoon feed answers here, you have to show some work.

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6
    You may try to guess the formula by visualising the pattern. For example, draw one dot in the first line, two dots in the second, so on and so forth. Can you observe any pattern of the total number of dots?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted