Adiabatic compressed air and energy calculations

In summary, the pump adiabatically compresses air to a pressure of 17 atmospheres and the increase in internal energy of the gas is 7/5 of the original internal energy.
Akaramos45 said:
I see. How do I calculate the increase in temperature of the steel. What formulas would I use?.
I am sorry this is my first doing this sort of problem. Could you show me an example?
You know the heat energy going into it, its volume, density and specific heat. If you don't know an equation connecting those with temperature change, look up specific heat.

Physics news on Phys.org
the volume of the steel?

I am looking up specific heat

Akaramos45 said:
the volume of the steel?
Yes. You are given the internal diameter, the length and the thickness.

The energy lost by the gas + the energy gained by the steel cylinder = 0 Since the energy is conserved.
The mass of the steel cylinder = Volume x density = (π(0.01)^2 - π(0.009)^2)*0.6 = 3.58 x 10 (-5)* 7900 = 0.283 Kg
MsCs(Tf - 18) + MgCg(Tf- 18) = 0

I do not know the mass of air, or it's specific heat.
So would it be correct if i said the energy.
Also I do not know what to do from here.

Akaramos45 said:
(π(0.01)^2 - π(0.009)^2)*
The 2cm is the internal diameter, not the external diameter.
Akaramos45 said:
MgCg(Tf- 18)
No, the gas is cooling from the high temperature found previously to Tf. But anyway, we established that you can just write that the heat transferred to the steel is the whole of the internal energy gained by the gas during compression, and you already calculated that.

Do you mean to use the internal energy that was calculated in part b?

Density of steel = π(0.011)^2 - π(0.01)^2 * 0.6 = 3.96 x10(-5) * 7900 = 0.313 Kg

(0.313)(448)(Tf - 18) = 59.5 J
Tf - 291.15 = 59.5/(0.313*448)
Tf = 291.57 K
Therefore there is an increase of 0.42 degrees

I think this is way it should be done. I see that you are offline. Thank you very much for you help. This might be wrong, but it's too late now the homework is due tomorrow. If there is any mistakes with please just list them so i can take care of it late

haruspex said:
But anyway, we established that you can just write that the heat transferred to the steel is the whole of the internal energy gained by the gas during compression, and you already calculated that.
whoops! That's wrong.
Even though the gas cools, it is still at a higher pressure than it started. This means it retains some of the work done.
You need to calculate the pressure when it returns to about 18C.

I am so confused. Could you please give show me how it meant to be done?

Excuse me, Mr.Haruspex it's getting quite late for me could you please show me what you mean?.

Akaramos45 said:
Excuse me, Mr.Haruspex it's getting quite late for me could you please show me what you mean?.
Sorry, but I'm not that expert in this area myself, and I don't want to lead you astray. I need to check some things before I give a firm answer. I understand that this will be too late for you tonight.

I was thinking since we can assume that all of the energy of the hot gas is transferred to the steel. Wouldn't what you said before still work?

Akaramos45 said:
I was thinking since we can assume that all of the energy of the hot gas is transferred to the steel. Wouldn't what you said before still work?
Will all of the gained internal energy will be transferred? Even when the gas cools back to 18C it will be at a higher pressure than it started. That represents a gain in energy, no?

That's true. but this question allows me to state assumptions

is there anything i can assume in order to make this true?

Could i say that the increase in energy due to an increase in pressure is neglible?

Akaramos45 said:
Could i say that the increase in energy due to an increase in pressure is neglible?
I would not have thought so, but I could be quite wrong about this. Maybe the internal energy is just PV, so it all does end up in the steel.
@Chestermiller , you'll be able to settle this immediately, I'm sure.

haruspex said:
I would not have thought so, but I could be quite wrong about this. Maybe the internal energy is just PV, so it all does end up in the steel.
@Chestermiller , you'll be able to settle this immediately, I'm sure.
In my judgment, the way he did it in the first place is correct. The assumption is that the gas adiabatically heats up first, and then equilibrates thermally with the cylinder. So, the way you originally had it doped out was correct.

Chestermiller said:
the gas adiabatically heats up first, and then equilibrates thermally with the cylinder.
Yes, I understand that, but I had this nagging thought that surely the compressed gas, even after equilibration, is storing energy. But I now think that its potential to do work comes from its low entropy, in the same way that an uneven temperature distribution has the capacity to do work.
Thanks for clearing it up.

haruspex said:
Yes, I understand that, but I had this nagging thought that surely the compressed gas, even after equilibration, is storing energy. But I now think that its potential to do work comes from its low entropy, in the same way that an uneven temperature distribution has the capacity to do work.
Thanks for clearing it up.
Rather than assuming the the gas heats up first and then equilibrates with the cylinder, it is also possible to assume that the two heat up simultaneously. In this case $$dU=-PdV$$or $$MCdT=-\frac{nRT}{V}dV$$or equivalently $$MC\frac{dT}{T}=\frac{nR}{V}dV$$where M is the mass of the cylinder and C is the heat capacity of the steel. I think that this is more likely what they had in mind. In this case, the expansion would be nearly isothermal (because of the large thermal inertia of the cylinder).

Chestermiller said:
it is also possible to assume that the two heat up simultaneously... I think that this is more likely what they had in mind.
The question statement says the air is compressed adiabatically.

haruspex said:
The question statement says the air is compressed adiabatically.
Hmmm. Well, if it is truly adiabatic, then the gas can't exchange heat with the cylinder. So there is some ambiguity here. However, the version I just presented assumes that the combination of gas and cylinder is adiabatic.