1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic Expansion: Constant pressure and temperature

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    I'm new to the forum, so please be kind.

I was reading through my pchem textbook, and I noticed something. We're given the equation:

ΔU = q + w

For an adiabatic expansion, we're told that q = 0. Fair enough, no heat transfer. But when there is a constant T and change in V, my book says:

ΔU = 0 (U is constant)

I don't understand. W = -∫pdV, doesn't it? Why is work zero?
    The book also says that for a perfect gas, U isn't dependent on volume. When they use this fact, it makes sense why ΔU = 0, but it seems like a contradiction when using the definition of work.

Also, the book continues and says:

ΔU = CvΔT when V is constant.

Again, W = -∫pdV, right? So dV = 0, shouldn't ΔU = 0?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2
    Hi Hpatps1,
    For the adiabatic expansion we have the relation between T and V as T1V11-[itex]\gamma[/itex]=T2V21-[itex]\gamma[/itex].
    Where T1,V1 and T2,V2 are data of the system at two different states. If T is constant then T1=T2. Then by the above equation V1=V2. Hence dV is zero, and the W. That's why ΔU is zero.
    Now for the next. By the above data it is clear that dV is zero iff T is constant (ΔT=0). So in the equation ΔU=CvΔT, ΔU certainly becomes zero when ΔT=0.
    Regards.

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3
    Thanks! That makes sense.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4
    As a gas expands or contracts adiabatically, although q=0, the temperature changes as a result of the particles doing work on the surroundings, so there is a change in internal energy equal to the work done by or to the system. U is only dependent on the kinetic energies of the molecules of the gas in an ideal system.

6. Oct 1, 2013 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not sure why you say W = 0. Why do you think W = 0?

Why would ΔU = 0?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook