Adjoint Operator and Zero Transformation in Complex Inner Product Spaces

• Thread starter holezch
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a complex inner product space with the adjoint operator T*. The problem is to prove that if <T(x), x> = 0 for all x in V, then T is the zero transformation. The initial attempt at a solution uses the fact that <T(x), x> = <x, T*(x)>, but there is a mistake in the final implication that T*(x) = 0 for any x. The correct implication is that if <x, y> = <x, z> for all x in V, then y = z. This is because while x can be arbitrarily chosen, y (also known as T*(x)) is fixed for each x, so we cannot consider
holezch

Homework Statement

V: complex inner product space with adjoint T*

Suppose that < T( x ) , x > = 0 for all x in V, then T is the zero transformation.

The Attempt at a Solution

< T( x ) , x > = < x, T*(x ) > = 0
0 = < x, 0 > = < 0, x >
< x, T*(x ) > = 0 = < x, 0 >

if < x , y > = < x, z> , then y = z
so T*(x ) = 0 for any x, which means T* is the zero transformation, which implies that T is the zero transformation..

is this okay? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't look quite right. Look at applying T to the basis elements [tex]<Te_{i},e_{j}>=0[/tex] and you should get that T is the zero operator. Another hint is write
[tex]
Te_{i}=\sum_{k=1}^{N}\alpha_{ik}e_{k}
[/tex]

thanks, I'm less interested in the right answer, but I'd like to know why the steps I posted above were wrong? thanks

holezch said:
< T( x ) , x > = < x, T*(x ) > = 0
0 = < x, 0 > = < 0, x >
< x, T*(x ) > = 0 = < x, 0 >

if < x , y > = < x, z> , then y = z
so T*(x ) = 0 for any x, which means T* is the zero transformation, which implies that T is the zero transformation..

is this okay? thanks

<x , y> = < x , z> does not by itself imply y=z. Consider, for example, the Euclidean inner product. The vector x can be normal to two different vectors y and z, and so <x,y>=<x,z>=0, but y [tex] \neq [/tex] z. I hope this helps.

you're right, the implication in full is : if < x , y > = < x, z > for all x in V, then y = z
in this case, x may be arbitrarily chosen, but 'y' ( a.k.a T*( x ) ) is fixed for each x , so we cannot consider < x , y > = < x, z > for any x, since y is never the same vector
thanks for reading

FAQ: Adjoint Operator and Zero Transformation in Complex Inner Product Spaces

What is an adjoint operator in a complex inner product space?

An adjoint operator in a complex inner product space is a linear transformation that maps elements from the space to their corresponding complex conjugates. It is the generalization of the transpose of a matrix in real inner product spaces.

How is the adjoint operator defined?

The adjoint operator is defined as the unique linear transformation that satisfies the property ⟨T(x), y⟩ = ⟨x, T*(y)⟩ for all vectors x and y in the complex inner product space, where T* denotes the adjoint of T.

What is the relationship between an adjoint operator and a zero transformation?

An adjoint operator is a zero transformation if and only if it maps every vector in the complex inner product space to the zero vector. In other words, the adjoint operator is a zero transformation if and only if its range is the zero subspace.

How is the adjoint operator related to the inner product of two vectors?

The adjoint operator is closely related to the inner product of two vectors. In fact, the inner product of two vectors can be expressed as ⟨x, y⟩ = ⟨T(x), T*(y)⟩ for any linear transformation T in the complex inner product space.

What are some applications of the adjoint operator and zero transformation in complex inner product spaces?

The adjoint operator and zero transformation have various applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, functional analysis, and linear algebra. They are particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations, finding orthogonal bases, and studying properties of matrices and operators in complex inner product spaces.

Back