Multi-Variable Calculus Assignment Questions

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a math assignment with three problems. The first problem involves finding 14 points using a given theorem. The second problem involves solving a system of equations to find values for three variables. The third problem involves finding the conditions for differentiability at a point and solving for multiple solutions. The conversation also discusses working with negative values and zeros in the solutions.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

.pdf file of assignment is here: http://www.math.washington.edu/~sullivan/3264_sp10.pdf

So, I have a few questions about the assignment.

Problem #1 I need to know how to find the 14 points.

Problem #2 When it tells me to computer ∂f/∂x amd ∂f/dy at (0,0), does that mean I just I take the limit as (x,y)-->(0,0), since obviously the two are undefined at (0,0)?

Problem #3 The two conditions for differentiability at a point are that f(x,y) is continuous at that point and that lim (h,k)-->(0,0) |f(x+h,y+k)-f(x,y)-(Ah+Bh)| / √(x2+y2) = 0, where A= [f(x+h,y)-f(x,y)]/h, B=[f(x,y+k)-f(x,y)]/k, according to my textbook. Right? How am I supposed to show that such approaches 0 is h,k approach zero?

Homework Equations

They're scattered around the assignment

The Attempt at a Solution

The only one worth showing my work is Problem 1. I used the theorem on the front.

grad(F)=<1, 3y2, z3>
grad(G)=<x2, y2, z2>

grad(F), then, is never the zero vector.
grad(G) is at the point (0,0,0).

If I make grad(F) a scalar multiple of grad(G), my system of equations looks like

1=ßx2
3y2=ßy2
z3=ßz2
x2+y2+z2=1.

------> 1/ß + y2 + z3/ß = 1 -----> ß2 + 3y2 + ßz2=1.

Now, how do I solve for the 13 other points with that equation?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
so the way i read the question, the function & constraint are:
[tex] F(x,y,z) = x + y^3 + z^3[/tex]
[tex] G(x,y,z) = x^1 + y^2 + z^2 = 1[/tex]

Jamin2112 said:
The only one worth showing my work is Problem 1. I used the theorem on the front.

grad(F)=<1, 3y2, z3>
grad(G)=<x2, y2, z2>

these gradients don't look right

[tex] \nabla F = <\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}> [/tex]

lanedance said:
[tex] \nabla F = <\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}> [/tex]

I have no idea what I was thinking!

Let me redo that part.

grad(F)=<1,3y2,3z2>
grad(G)=<2x,2y,2z>

1=2ßx;
3y2=2ßy;
3z2=2ßz;
x2+y2+z2=1.

Now what?

ok so you have 4 equations, try & solve them...

lanedance said:
ok so you have 4 equations, try & solve them...

Hmmmm...

To simplify,

ß=1/2x;
ß=(3/2)y;
ß=(3/2)z;
x2+y2+z2=1;

So,

(2ß)2 + (2ß/3)2 + (2ß/3)2 = 1.

----> 4ß2 + 4ß2/9 + 4ß2/9 = 1

----> 36ß2 + 8ß2 = 1

----> 44ß2 = 1

----> ß= 1/√44

How am I supposed to get 13 points? That would only give me one.

Jamin2112 said:
Hmmmm...

To simplify,

ß=1/2x;
shouldnt this be
[tex] \beta = \frac{1}{2x} [/tex]
Jamin2112 said:
ß=(3/2)y;
ß=(3/2)z;
to get these you have divided through by y & z respectively, which is ok if tehy are noth non-negative, but what about the cases when one or both are zero?

Jamin2112 said:
x2+y2+z2=1;

So,

(2ß)2 + (2ß/3)2 + (2ß/3)2 = 1.

----> 4ß2 + 4ß2/9 + 4ß2/9 = 1

----> 36ß2 + 8ß2 = 1

----> 44ß2 = 1

----> ß= 1/√44

How am I supposed to get 13 points? That would only give me one.

if last step was correct, which i don't think it is based on the first comment, when you take a squareroot you get a positive & negative solution

lanedance said:
shouldnt this be
[tex] \beta = \frac{1}{2x} [/tex]

to get these you have divided through by y & z respectively, which is ok if tehy are noth non-negative, but what about the cases when one or both are zero?

if last step was correct, which i don't think it is based on the first comment, when you take a squareroot you get a positive & negative solution

Attempt 3:

x=1/(2ß),
y=(2ß/3),
z=(2ß/3),

into the 4th equation gives me

1/(4ß2) + 4ß2/9 + 4ß2/9=1.

Multiply everything by 36ß2 and I get

9 + 16ß4 + 16ß4 = 36ß2.

----> I don't know how to solve that, but I assume there would be 4 solutions, (By the way, how would I solve that?) which would then given me 4 different points (x,y,z).

I wouldn't matter is y or z were negative, because they'd just become positive when I plug them into the equation of a sphere, right?

As for working with zeros, that would give me 6 more solutions...

Am I getting closer?

Explain, please.

Jamin2112 said:
Attempt 3:

x=1/(2ß),
y=(2ß/3),
z=(2ß/3),

into the 4th equation gives me

1/(4ß2) + 4ß2/9 + 4ß2/9=1.

Multiply everything by 36ß2 and I get

9 + 16ß4 + 16ß4 = 36ß2.

----> I don't know how to solve that, but I assume there would be 4 solutions, (By the way, how would I solve that?) which would then given me 4 different points (x,y,z).
solve for another variable [itex] \alpha = \beta^2 [/itex] then solve for beta. also not that beta cannot be zero
Jamin2112 said:
I wouldn't matter is y or z were negative, because they'd just become positive when I plug them into the equation of a sphere, right?
right, so if it doesn't matter if y or z are negtive, they are both separate solutions to the problem
Jamin2112 said:
As for working with zeros, that would give me 6 more solutions...

Am I getting closer?

Explain, please.
maybe, you'll have to try and see, try the cases:
[tex] y = 0, z \neq 0 [/tex]
[tex] y \neq 0, z = 0 [/tex]
[tex] y = 0, z = 0 [/tex]

14 solutions is a lot, so you'll have to try & be systematic in working through

lanedance said:
solve for another variable [itex] \alpha = \beta^2 [/itex] then solve for beta. also not that beta cannot be zero

right, so if it doesn't matter if y or z are negtive, they are both separate solutions to the problem

maybe, you'll have to try and see, try the cases:
[tex] y = 0, z \neq 0 [/tex]
[tex] y \neq 0, z = 0 [/tex]
[tex] y = 0, z = 0 [/tex]

14 solutions is a lot, so you'll have to try & be systematic in working through

So, I got ß= +/- ( (9 +/- √153) / 16). That's four different values which can be plugged in for four points (x,y,z).

If I set y=0, z=z, that's the same as z=0, y=y, ... Okay, I get it.

so i think you'll get 4 more for y=0, 4 more for z=0, then 2 for y=z=0

FAQ: Multi-Variable Calculus Assignment Questions

What is Advanced Multivariable Calculus?

Advanced Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables, vector calculus, and multiple integrals. It expands upon the concepts of single-variable calculus to solve problems in three-dimensional space and beyond.

What are some real-world applications of Advanced Multivariable Calculus?

Advanced Multivariable Calculus is widely used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to model and analyze complex systems. For example, it can be used to calculate the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, optimize design parameters in engineering, and predict the behavior of financial markets.

What are some common topics covered in Advanced Multivariable Calculus courses?

Some common topics covered in Advanced Multivariable Calculus courses include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector-valued functions, line and surface integrals, and the theorems of Green, Stokes, and Gauss. Students may also learn about applications of these concepts in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How is Advanced Multivariable Calculus different from single-variable calculus?

Advanced Multivariable Calculus differs from single-variable calculus in that it deals with functions of several variables, rather than just one. This requires the use of vector calculus and multiple integrals, as well as a deeper understanding of concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals in multiple dimensions.

What are some tips for succeeding in Advanced Multivariable Calculus?

To succeed in Advanced Multivariable Calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to seek help from professors or tutors when needed. Additionally, understanding the application of concepts to real-world problems can aid in comprehension and retention of the material.

Back