1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Topics

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if someone could just tell me whether or not Most of intro and all of advanced Physics is primarily built upon Calculus and any other advanced Math topics. I know that high school physics usually teaches physics from a non-calculus point of view but I am specifically referring to Calculus based-physics and beyond.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say yes. I, at the moment, cannot think of a topic in physics past freshman year that is not associated with calculus in some way. Typically, whenever things are not constant, calculus in required. Such problems can be simplified for high school students (ie find the work done by this constant force), but to get the full picture calculus is required.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    Nick thanks a lot for the feedback, really appreciate it.
  5. Jul 30, 2008 #4
    And beyond the calculus-based physics you only got PDE's, analytical mechanics and fourier-analysis to deal with. :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?