Advice before joining PhD research group, -- personal problems

In summary: Second, if this person does become a problem, it's important to remember that you're not the only one that's been affected. Other members of the research group may have feelings as well. It's important to be open and honest about your problems. In summary, if you have a personal problem with one of the group members, it's important to weigh the pros and cons before taking any action. There are options available to you, but it may be difficult to carry out those options. It's also important to be honest with your supervisor, and be clear about what you want to accomplish.
Erebus_Oneiros
Advice before joining PhD research group, if I have a personal problem with one of the group members?

One more student from my cohort wants to join the same research group as me. We will be doing our research rotation together. He has an overbearing attitude and is insolent towards anyone around him. It is a pain to be in the same group as him during discussions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's just a case where this student also "wants to join" the same group, I wouldn't worry about it too much, because it's not an actual problem yet. It's just a potential problem that may become an actual one, but may not.

If this student does get into your group, and you have a hard time working with him, then you'll have to figure out how to work around him. Options include choosing a project that requires you to work independently, or letting your supervisor know that you either don't want to work with this person or would appreciate the opportunity to work with someone else in the group who has more experience. Another option is to have a conversation with this person and let him know how you feel. That's not always easy, but sometimes it can help to stifle small problems before they turn into big ones.

Unfortunately the world is full of people that are less-than-desirable to work with. Learning how to make these situations work is a good skill to develop early on.

Likes CalcNerd, Erebus_Oneiros, Ben Espen and 1 other person
Choppy said:
If it's just a case where this student also "wants to join" the same group, I wouldn't worry about it too much, because it's not an actual problem yet. It's just a potential problem that may become an actual one, but may not.

If this student does get into your group, and you have a hard time working with him, then you'll have to figure out how to work around him. Options include choosing a project that requires you to work independently, or letting your supervisor know that you either don't want to work with this person or would appreciate the opportunity to work with someone else in the group who has more experience. Another option is to have a conversation with this person and let him know how you feel. That's not always easy, but sometimes it can help to stifle small problems before they turn into big ones.

Unfortunately the world is full of people that are less-than-desirable to work with. Learning how to make these situations work is a good skill to develop early on.
Thanks for your great advice!
Just a quick question: so I was thinking of letting the supervisor know about it in the worst case scenario in the future (as talking to him is out of question, tried once he had "I don't give a s**t attitude about it). But won't the supervisor interpret this as me being too picky about who I work with and stuff?

Erebus_Oneiros said:
Just a quick question: so I was thinking of letting the supervisor know about it in the worst case scenario in the future (as talking to him is out of question, tried once he had "I don't give a s**t attitude about it). But won't the supervisor interpret this as me being too picky about who I work with and stuff?

A lot can depend on the personality of the supervisor, but in addition to being a scientist-mentor this person also has certain obligations towards fostering a productive and respectful atmosphere among those he or she supervises. For conversations like this, it can help to have a list of specific issues on hand. Walking into a person's office and saying "I just don't want to work with that guy" is different from making an appointment, closing the office door and articulating the issue. You can tell your supervisor specific problems that you've encountered, issues that make you feel uncomfortable, etc. It's important to tell your supervisor that you have attempted to address the issue with this person on your own (because often this will be the first suggestion). It's also important to be specific with what you want to accomplish. If this guy is a part of the research group, you won't be able to avoid him entirely. But you could request that you be assigned independent work.

One caveats. First, any actions of your supervisor will depend on the context of your project. In some cases it can be more difficult to assign independent work than others. Don't expect miracles.

Likes Erebus_Oneiros

1. How can I determine if a PhD research group is a good fit for me?

It is important to do your research on the group's focus, methodology, and culture. You should also talk to current and former members of the group to get a better understanding of their experiences.

2. What should I do if I am experiencing personal problems while in a PhD research group?

It is important to communicate with your advisor and other members of the group about your personal problems. They may be able to offer support and accommodations to help you manage your workload and responsibilities.

3. How can I ensure a positive relationship with my advisor in a PhD research group?

Maintaining open and honest communication with your advisor is crucial. Make sure to discuss your expectations, goals, and any issues that arise in a professional and respectful manner.

4. What are some red flags to look out for when considering a PhD research group?

Some red flags may include a high turnover rate of students, a lack of funding or resources, or a toxic work environment. It is important to trust your instincts and do thorough research before joining a group.

5. How can I balance my personal life and responsibilities in a PhD research group?

It is important to prioritize and set boundaries for yourself. Make sure to schedule time for self-care and hobbies outside of your research. Communicate with your advisor and group members about your workload and any personal commitments that may affect your work.