1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice for 2x4 weight distribution...

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    I have a 2x4 on it's edge that spans 10 feet in my ceiling. I want to hang a swing that can hold 250 pounds near the center of this span. What would I need to do in this situation in order to get minimal or no deflection?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

To get no deflection, you would have to use unobtanium instead of wood. To get a small amount of deflection, you'll have to do something fairly drastic since a 10' span of normal 2/4" is going to deflect a fair amount w/ 250 lbs in the middle, ESPECIALLY if it is on its side instead of on edge the way it should be for such a load bearing job.

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    I apologize, that was my error. It is on it's edge.

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

6. Feb 12, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You have 10' long ceiling joists that are just 2x4s? That seems pretty weak, and is certainly not sized for any extra loading. See this for an idea of construction standards in the US:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newjersey/nj_residential/PDFs/NJ_Res_Chapter8.pdf
    Ceiling joists are sized for holding up the ceiling material and light hanging fixtures, not for 250 pound dynamic loads. What you are asking about is dangerous, and you should not consider doing it. Build a free-standing swingset instead, following the lead of the swingsets you can purchase and build yourself for backyard playsets. Be sure to check what the maximum load is specified for those swingsets, given their wood beam sizes and materials. Thread is closed.

https://www.wayfair.com/Backyard-Di...187400005706&gclid=CMOu_Y6oi9ICFdRyfgodAp4HQw

Providence+Swing+Set.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook