Balancing Pressure: The Impact of Wheel Size on Weight Distribution

• Thread starter Atomic_Sheep
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of weight and pressure on a car sitting on ice, and how it changes when the car is put on wheels. The pressure under each wheel is a quarter of the whole car, which may not seem intuitive but can be understood through examples and thought experiments. The conversation also touches on the concept of moment balances and the difficulty of solving for a system with four support points.
Atomic_Sheep
If we have a car with no wheels an one of those sporty aero flat underside sitting on ice, then the pressure is just equally distributed throughout the whole underside and is relatively low, so a thin layer of ice can support it.

What happens when we put the car on wheels? The contact patch now becomes the size of a matchbox on each of the four corners, so if the car weights 1T, then I'm guessing each wheel's contact patch is holding 250kg per square matchbox?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the matchbox size, but yes it is true that spreading the weight over more area makes it less likely to break through ice.
That seems obvious.

Atomic_Sheep said:
so a thin layer of ice can support it.
This part is a bit tricky, since ice would not break below the car, but around the car. If it is not thick enough then it won't be able to spread the stress, regardless of the pressure at the center.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
The point being made by @Rive, as I understand him, is that it is not a matter simply of penetration directly below the contact point, but also a matter of the bending stress induced in the ice sheet. Some distance away from the car, the stress distribution will be exactly the same for both types of contact. It is the bending stress that will break the ice, not the contact stress.

I'm more trying to understand why the pressure under each wheel is a quarter of the whole car? This to me doesn't seem intuitive/obvious. I only brought the ice example because it's a classic way of talking about the problem. I don't understand why the car can't weigh a tonne and the contact point of each wheel having a tonne transferred through it? I don't have a second set of scales to weight myself standing one foot per scale, but intuitively, I find it hard to believe half my weight will be reflected on the respective scale.

Atomic_Sheep said:
I don't have a second set of scales to weight myself standing one foot per scale, but intuitively, I find it hard to believe half my weight will be reflected on the respective scale.

Have a look at https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Force_equilibrium

Atomic_Sheep said:
I'm more trying to understand why the pressure under each wheel is a quarter of the whole car? This to me doesn't seem intuitive/obvious. I only brought the ice example because it's a classic way of talking about the problem. I don't understand why the car can't weigh a tonne and the contact point of each wheel having a tonne transferred through it? I don't have a second set of scales to weight myself standing one foot per scale, but intuitively, I find it hard to believe half my weight will be reflected on the respective scale.
Put your other foot on the floor.

I'm not sure why this isn't intuitive to you.

Likes Averagesupernova
Atomic_Sheep said:
Try this thought experiment.
Imagine a plywood platform with a rather unconventional chair situated on it that instead of four legs has 64 legs, and with a weigh scale under each chair leg. Let's say the combined weight of this chair and the person sitting on it is 640 kg.

If each scale read 640 kg then (64 legs x 640 kg) total weight would be 40960 kg, and the platform would almost certainly collapse.
Total mass doesn't change, so what happens is each leg supports a fraction of it (640 kg/64 legs = 10 kg per leg).

Likes Averagesupernova
Atomic_Sheep said:
This to me doesn't seem intuitive/obvious.
Then instead of looking for explanation first you should look for examples and absurdities to challenge your 'intuition'.

For example, if one man can't lift a weight and calls for help, how would be able two lift the same weight if weight not shared but every contact point holds the same (original) weight?

If you push a weight with one hand or you push it with two hand, will you push twice of the weight with two hands?

If every contact point holds the same (original) weight, then to push a pole down the ground would just require a fluffy feather with maaaany contact points?

And so on.

Likes Averagesupernova, russ_watters and Asymptotic
Atomic_Sheep said:
Have you tried drawing a free-body diagram of this rigid body and taking moment balances.

Likes russ_watters
Chestermiller said:
Have you tried drawing a free-body diagram of this rigid body and taking moment balances.

I appreciate the intent here, but this approach is apt to raise more questions than it answers. The difficulty lies in the fact that with four support points, the system is statically indeterminant. This is true with the classic problem of the four legged table or chair. The problem goes away if you consider a three legged stool.

He could still answer the question regarding the rear wheels vs the front wheels, and the right wheels vs the left wheels. That should be enough to address his issue.

What is spreading pressure/weight?

Spreading pressure or weight is the force exerted by an object over a given area. It is the amount of pressure or weight distributed over the surface area of an object.

How is spreading pressure/weight calculated?

Spreading pressure/weight is calculated by dividing the force exerted on an object by the area over which the force is distributed. The unit of measurement for spreading pressure/weight is typically pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

What factors affect spreading pressure/weight?

Spreading pressure/weight can be affected by a number of factors, including the shape and size of the object, the force applied, and the surface area over which the force is distributed. Other factors that can impact spreading pressure/weight include the type and density of the material being compressed, and the surface conditions of the object and its surroundings.

Why is understanding spreading pressure/weight important?

Understanding spreading pressure/weight is important in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and materials science. It is also relevant in everyday life, such as when considering the weight distribution of furniture on a floor or the pressure exerted on a tire.

How can spreading pressure/weight be controlled or minimized?

Spreading pressure/weight can be controlled or minimized by adjusting the shape and size of an object, as well as the force applied to it. In some cases, using materials with lower densities or distributing the weight over a larger surface area can also help to reduce spreading pressure/weight.