Advice for one who wishes to design solar cells

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying both electrical and materials engineering at a bachelor's level in order to design solar cells. The importance of gaining connections through research and the potential benefits of studying in China are also mentioned. The idea of pursuing a Ph.D. in one field rather than multiple master's degrees is suggested, with a focus on materials engineering and a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering being the proposed route. The conversation also touches on the value of having a solid understanding of chemistry in the field of solar cell design.
a_lawson_2k
I am thinking I should study electrical engineering as well as materials engineering up to a bachelor level; is this a wise plan if I hope to design solar cells.

Also, how easily could I collaborate with others to do research in order to gain connections to get such a job, or at least related to either type of engineering?

Thanks
-Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Move to China. They are investing a whole lot more than the US is in solar cells. (That was meant to be funny).

Having said that, I think you have a good plan.

Interesting you should bring that up; I studied Mandarin, and PRC set aside $180B for renewable energy development. I should brush up soon...

But since I can't afford university (I'm teaching myself this stuff), I wouldn't be able to make the needed connections through the one I would have attended, how easily could I get my foot in the door through research without a degree?

You won't be designing anything without at least a bachelor's degree. Furthermore, most people who do process engineering almost always have more advanced degrees. Process engineering is much closer to physics than plain ol' IC design. If you want to be working on breakthrough new techniques for making solar cells, plan on at least a master's degree.

- Warren

Masters in both electrical engineering and materials engineering, or would one be more advisable than the other?

Another route to go is to go into chemistry, particularly inorganic (however, organic will come in handy), and also brush up on MatE and EE. Its quite a bit of work, but this is what a professor at my university taught himself and he works quite a bit with solar cell design.

Just pointing out another possible path.

I'll try that too; even if I don't end up designing solar cells, between those three I'll find something fun.

EDIT: does ^_^ mean I should study chemical engineering as well as MatE and EE up to a master's level?

Last edited:
Just to clearify: I was suggesting you pick one of the three to be your focus (major), and then take courses in the others to suppliment your knowledge.

And note, not chemical engineering, rather chemistry in and of itself. From what I have found from talking to an industial chemist, who works with chemical engineers, it puts you in a better position to understand new developments and work towards new products by having the science training rather than the engineering training.

I'm hoping to innovate with the materials used in the production of solar cells, so an emphasis on MatE is probably in order. I've got a winning bid on Cheng's Chemistry 10e that ends in 2hr, so I'm in the right direction.

Personally, I would think it to be more prudent to get a Ph.D. in one field rather than getting two masters. At some point, you have to buckle down and do research anyway. There are plenty of professors out there who work with solar cells, and IMO, you're far better off using one of them as a jumping-off point.

What's with people going after so many degrees? I busted my back for a BSEE, next fall I'll pursue my MSEE, and one day hopefully my Ph.D. However, all the time here I hear people talking about going for 3 BS's with 7 minors, and then going for 6 master's degrees. I understand people have interests, but that's crazy.

Remember he hasn't started, he will soon realize that 2 masters is really a LOT of work.

I have no experience with the matter, that's why I ask about these things. At this point, I'm thinking of a PhD in MatE and a bachelor's in EE; I can cherry-pick what I need above a bachelor's level in EE, but MatE is at the crux of what I'm seeking to do, so I'm considering an emphasis on that.

1. How do solar cells work?

Solar cells work by converting sunlight into electricity through a process called the photovoltaic effect. When sunlight hits the solar cell, it excites electrons in the cell's semiconductor material, creating a flow of electricity.

2. What materials are used to make solar cells?

Solar cells are typically made from silicon, a semiconductor material that is abundant and has the necessary properties to convert sunlight into electricity. Other materials such as cadmium telluride and copper indium gallium selenide can also be used.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of solar cells?

The efficiency of solar cells can be affected by factors such as the amount of sunlight, the temperature, the quality of the semiconductor material, and the design of the solar cell itself. Higher quality materials and better design can lead to higher efficiency.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my solar cells?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of solar cells, such as using higher quality materials, optimizing the design and structure of the cells, and implementing techniques like anti-reflective coatings and light-trapping structures to capture more sunlight.

5. How can I design solar cells for different environments?

The design of solar cells can be tailored to different environments by considering factors such as the amount and angle of sunlight, the temperature, and potential shading from surrounding objects. For example, solar cells in a desert environment may have a different design than those in a cloudy or snowy location.