Advice On career path/ licensed engineer question

In summary, the person is currently a physics major in their junior year of college and is considering a career in engineering, specifically mechanical or aerospace. They have two options - a dual degree in physics/engineering or a BS in physics followed by a masters in ME. They are concerned about the importance of engineering licensure and the difference between having a BS versus an MS in engineering. The conversation also discusses the importance of licensure in different types of engineering and the confusion surrounding the process. Ultimately, the advice is to get a bachelor's in engineering if the goal is to pursue a career in engineering, but it may not be necessary for all types of engineering.
NBAJam100
I am currently a physics major in my junior year of college (I changed to physics after my first year so technically it is only my 2nd year as a physics major). I know that i want to do some sort of engineering, preferably mechanical, in the future. I have 2 choices right now:

1.) get a dual degree in physics/engineering (which would take 5.5-6 yrs due to the late start on physics). or 2.) get a bs in physics and then a masters in ME, which would also most likely take around 6 years.

My question is which seems like the best path to take? I've heard many things about people being worried that they arent "licensed engineers" if they don't get their B.S in engineering. What exactly does that entail and mean and how does it change your job options/chance of getting a job? I am in the US if that makes a difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensure_for_engineers/ tells the whole story about the process of becoming a licensed engineer.

From what I understand, the BS vs MS issue is that many states explicitly require a bachelor's degree in engineering, and will not license people who "only" have a master's degree.

Does it make a difference in your career? Well, that totally depends on what type of engineering you are doing. The only difference between licensed/non-licensed is that a licensed engineer can put his "stamp" on a project approving it as safe, etc. As you can imagine, this is rather important in civil engineering. In computer engineering, on the other hand, it's much less important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some states won't let you sit for the FE exam if you don't have a bachelor's in physics, whether you intend to pursue a PE license or not. (FE=Fundamentals of Engineering).

One of the people who sits on the state board here gave a presentation to our school, and we asked all about how to become an engineer (or licensed geologist, as that also falls under their purvey). The advice they gave was, basically, you can't, but if you want to, it's better to move to a state where they will let you take the FE exam without a bachelor's in engineering.

It was all, frankly, very confusing. So my advice is to get the bachelor's in engineering if you want to do engineering, even if it takes you extra time.

Engineering licensure is only important if your work involves infrastructure, such as buildings (including mechanical and electrical components), bridges, and other things that could affect public safety.

What are your professional goals?

Thanks for the help guys,

Kenny: My personal goals are to become with a mechanical engineer or an aerospace engineer. Would i need to be licensed for those?!

That's a no on aerospace engineering. For mechanical engineering, probably not, but maybe. It's only important if you want to design HVAC systems for buildings. That's only a tiny part of mechanical engineering though, so you have a lot of different options that don't require licensure.

What is a licensed engineer?

A licensed engineer is a professional who has completed the necessary education, training, and experience requirements to be legally authorized to practice engineering in a specific jurisdiction. They are responsible for designing, building, and maintaining various structures and systems to ensure public safety.

How do I become a licensed engineer?

To become a licensed engineer, you must first complete a four-year accredited engineering degree. After graduation, you will need to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. Once you have gained the required work experience, you can then take the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam to become a licensed engineer.

What are the benefits of becoming a licensed engineer?

Becoming a licensed engineer has numerous benefits, including increased job opportunities, higher salary potential, and the ability to take on more challenging and complex projects. It also provides credibility and recognition of your expertise in the field.

Are there different types of licensed engineers?

Yes, there are different types of licensed engineers, including civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, and structural engineers. Each type requires specific education and training in their respective fields, and they may also have different licensing requirements.

Do I need a license to work as an engineer?

In most cases, yes, you will need a license to work as an engineer. The requirements for licensure vary by state and country, so it is essential to research the specific regulations in your area. Some engineering positions may not require a license, but having one can open up more opportunities and increase your earning potential.