1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on taking Physics II

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    I'm going to be taking Physics II with calculus next semester and honestly, I don't remember anything from Mechanics. I took it last year and I have horrible memory. Do you still think I'll do well in Physics II if I study hard and do problems with no previous knowledge of mechanics/physics I or do I need to go back and learn everything over again?

Thank you so much!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2
    Are you in high school or college? These courses vary between schools but is this
    an introductory Electricity and Magnetism course?
    You won't really use much mechanics in an E&M course.
    There will be the occasional problem that requires basic F=ma type solving,
    or maybe a little kinematics (electron fired through a magnetic field at a certain velocity how far will it be deflected?).
    But even then it shouldn't really be an issue.
  4. Dec 29, 2009 #3
    You may also need to remember how to draw a force diagram, and it would help to remember torque.
  5. Dec 29, 2009 #4
    On a totally unrelated note is your name in reference to Naked Lunch?
  6. Dec 29, 2009 #5
    Oh noes, why do I need to remember Torque?

And about my name, I have been told it's from Naked Lunch but no, I just borrowed it from Harry Potter haha. But it just means a neutral person in politics.
  7. Dec 30, 2009 #6
    In my Physics 2 class, we did torque twice. Torque on an electric dipole in an electric field, and then torque on a current carrying loop in a magnetic field.
  8. Dec 30, 2009 #7
    I actually took a year off after Classical Newtonian Mechanics (I think this is considered Physics I) then took intro to Calculus-based E&M a year later just this past semester and did fine.

While I did remember how to do most problems from mechanics, I'd say it's important to know the very basics. Aside from the obvious: resolving vectors, some free body diagrams, familiarity with fields, periods and frequencies (for Faraday's Law), torque for the situations Jack21222 brought up; I think understanding the concepts of energy (potential, potential difference, conservation of, etc.) is a good foundation for most of the material covered.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook