Preparing for Physics II: Do I Need to Review Mechanics First?

In summary: If you've never done any problems before and you try to do everything without any prior knowledge, it will probably be a bit difficult. But if you study and do problems that are similar to what you will encounter in class, you will be able to do well.
Mugwump101
I'm going to be taking Physics II with calculus next semester and honestly, I don't remember anything from Mechanics. I took it last year and I have horrible memory. Do you still think I'll do well in Physics II if I study hard and do problems with no previous knowledge of mechanics/physics I or do I need to go back and learn everything over again?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in high school or college? These courses vary between schools but is this
an introductory Electricity and Magnetism course?
You won't really use much mechanics in an E&M course.
There will be the occasional problem that requires basic F=ma type solving,
or maybe a little kinematics (electron fired through a magnetic field at a certain velocity how far will it be deflected?).
But even then it shouldn't really be an issue.

You may also need to remember how to draw a force diagram, and it would help to remember torque.

On a totally unrelated note is your name in reference to Naked Lunch?

Oh noes, why do I need to remember Torque?

And about my name, I have been told it's from Naked Lunch but no, I just borrowed it from Harry Potter haha. But it just means a neutral person in politics.

Mugwump101 said:
Oh noes, why do I need to remember Torque?

And about my name, I have been told it's from Naked Lunch but no, I just borrowed it from Harry Potter haha. But it just means a neutral person in politics.

In my Physics 2 class, we did torque twice. Torque on an electric dipole in an electric field, and then torque on a current carrying loop in a magnetic field.

I actually took a year off after Classical Newtonian Mechanics (I think this is considered Physics I) then took intro to Calculus-based E&M a year later just this past semester and did fine.

While I did remember how to do most problems from mechanics, I'd say it's important to know the very basics. Aside from the obvious: resolving vectors, some free body diagrams, familiarity with fields, periods and frequencies (for Faraday's Law), torque for the situations Jack21222 brought up; I think understanding the concepts of energy (potential, potential difference, conservation of, etc.) is a good foundation for most of the material covered.

What is the best way to study for Physics II?

The best way to study for Physics II is to review your notes and readings regularly, practice solving problems, and seek help from your professor or classmates if you have trouble understanding a concept.

What topics are covered in Physics II?

Physics II typically covers topics such as electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It may also include some introductory topics in quantum mechanics.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physics II?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Physics II, it is important to practice solving different types of problems, understand the underlying concepts, and pay attention to units and significant figures. You can also try explaining the solution to someone else to solidify your understanding.

What resources are available for extra help in Physics II?

Most universities offer tutoring services or study groups for Physics II. You can also seek help from your professor during office hours or attend review sessions. Online resources such as Khan Academy or YouTube tutorials can also be helpful.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in Physics II exams?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Physics II exams include not paying attention to units and significant figures, not showing all your work, and not reading the question carefully. It is also important to review your solutions and check for arithmetic errors before submitting your exam.