Considering Engineering Degree: Pros, Cons, & Finances

In summary, the conversation discusses the financial implications and job prospects of returning to school for an engineering degree. The speaker suggests considering part-time schooling to maintain financial independence and to test if engineering is the right career path. They also mention the potential for a career in patent law after obtaining a degree in law.
yoleven
Hello, I would appreciate some advice. I have a degree and a job that pays me $50k. I want to return to school to get an engineering degree.
Tuition would be 5k/yr plus expenses.
Is it financially smart for me to do this?
What are the jobs like after you get a degree?
I am literally a few days from applying but I am a little intimidated.
Any input you could offer me would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much money can you save each year, BEFORE going to school? Would you earn a salary increase during that time? You should plan on doing some kind of work for income while you are a student - maybe tutoring, or possibly some programming projects for pay. My best guess it that YES, you could sooner or later quit your present job and go to school to study engineering. Just plan and prepare first.

I wouldn't give up a good salary to go back to school full time unless you hate your current job. I make a decent salary and have gone back to school part time. Granted it will take a lot longer, I am looking at 14 years, but if you are able to maintain financial independance then part time schooling may be the better option.

I figure that if I spend 14 years to get a degree in law after a BS in physics I will end up with a great early retirement career that I can do from anywhere. There is something appealing about doing patent law from some island in the carribbean.

yoleven said:
Hello, I would appreciate some advice. I have a degree and a job that pays me $50k. I want to return to school to get an engineering degree.
Tuition would be 5k/yr plus expenses.
Is it financially smart for me to do this?
What are the jobs like after you get a degree?
I am literally a few days from applying but I am a little intimidated.
Any input you could offer me would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I would say that if you really love what you are doing, then stick with it. If not, and you think you would like Engineering, then give it a shot by taking some part-time classes to see if you like it (and would want to make a career of it). If you find out that you don't like it, then you can always stop taking classes and go back to working full-time.

CS

1. What are the benefits of pursuing an engineering degree?

Pursuing an engineering degree offers many career opportunities and job stability. Engineers are in high demand in various industries such as technology, healthcare, and infrastructure. Additionally, engineering degrees often come with higher salaries and the potential for career advancement.

2. What are the drawbacks of pursuing an engineering degree?

Pursuing an engineering degree can be challenging and time-consuming. The coursework can be rigorous and demanding, and the cost of tuition and materials can be expensive. It also requires a strong foundation in math and science, so it may not be the best fit for everyone.

3. How much does it cost to get an engineering degree?

The cost of an engineering degree varies depending on the institution and program. On average, a four-year engineering degree can cost anywhere from $40,000 to $120,000. However, there are often scholarships and financial aid available to help offset the cost.

4. Are there any alternatives to getting an engineering degree?

There are alternative options to getting an engineering degree, such as pursuing a technical or vocational program. These programs often have a shorter time frame and lower cost compared to a traditional four-year degree. However, they may not offer the same level of job opportunities and career advancement as a full engineering degree.

5. What are the job prospects for engineers?

The job prospects for engineers are generally positive, with a projected job growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. However, the job market can vary depending on the specific field of engineering and the current economic climate. It's important to research the job market and potential opportunities before pursuing an engineering degree.