ADVICE Welcomed - EE Major / Physics Major / Computer Programming

In summary, the conversation is about a person who will be attending Penn State as a freshman undergraduate for Physics and EE. They are looking for advice on recommended books or study guides for their classes and are wondering about the importance of programming in their studies and future research. They are also seeking clarification on the general classes they will be taking in their first year.
Bobbyt503
I am going to Penn State next year as a freshman undergraduate for Physics and EE. I need advice from others who have been through the typical freshman and Sophomore years and the typical experience. Specifically, are there are recommended books/texts that I should have next year for both Physics and EE? Such as study guides or supplemental reading that could aid in any in-class? I am speaking generally for both Physics and EE.

Also, later in ungrad study, how far will programming go. I have searched certain selective posts that offer the notion that programming is later necessary for research in Physics atleast. I don't have any knowledge of effective computer programming. I don't know if programming is typically a bonus for a Physics and EE Double Major? Maybe for future research in Undergrad, Grad and in the field itself? Also if so, what type of language is typically used?

Any help would be appreciated. I know I may have been general in my questions, Ill specify if needed. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting ready to transfer to my university where I'll be majoring in physics and EE. Basically the first year is just your basic general classes, (where I'm from it is, but i hear it is everywhere). You take a math, science, english, history, and probably an elective. So you'll probably take the first of the physics or possibly a chemistry. You can go to the university page and look up the books you're going to need for the classes and just get the study guides that they offer with them, and skim through them to see if there is anything that you're completely confused by, I'd just enjoy the rest of your summer because you'll be studying a lot during the regular school year.

Related to ADVICE Welcomed - EE Major / Physics Major / Computer Programming

1. What is the difference between an EE major, physics major, and computer programming major?

An EE (Electrical Engineering) major focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. A physics major focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe. A computer programming major focuses on the design and development of software and computer systems.

2. Which major is more challenging, EE or physics?

Both majors require a strong foundation in math and science, so the level of difficulty may vary depending on an individual's strengths and interests. However, many students find physics to be more theoretical and abstract, while EE may involve more hands-on problem-solving.

3. Can a student major in both EE and physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in both EE and physics. However, it may require careful planning and course selection to ensure all requirements are met in a timely manner.

4. Is computer programming necessary for an EE or physics major?

While computer programming is not a requirement for an EE or physics major, it can be a useful skill to have in both fields. Many EE and physics courses may involve coding and students may find it beneficial to have a basic understanding of computer programming.

5. What career opportunities are available for an EE, physics, or computer programming major?

There are various career opportunities available for all three majors. EE majors often work in industries such as telecommunications, power systems, and electronics. Physics majors may pursue careers in research, education, or various industries such as healthcare and technology. Computer programming majors may work as software developers, web designers, or data analysts in a wide range of industries.