Which aerospace engineering book is best for beginners?

In summary: At this phase I'm not too interested in the derivation of the equations, so it's not an issue. I'll see if I can find a copy. Thanks for the tip!
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are not very good at math, those books are not for the faint of heart.

How about websites such as http://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/shortw.html, or http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/#Principles

I am going through these sites now to increase my knowledge of aerospace as i am a mech eng student.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually i have a good background in both physics and math. It's just that i have never studied enginnering before. Anyway, i got the first one and i find it very enlightening so far. Thank you for your your answers.

Cyrus said:
If you are not very good at math, those books are not for the faint of heart.

As an aero PhD once told me..."you can't get far in aerodynamics without the maths". :cry:

dtango said:
As an aero PhD once told me..."you can't get far in aerodynamics without the maths". :cry:

I think that this applies to every subfield of physics.

dark_raider said:
I think that this applies to every subfield of physics.

Hear, hear!...

It still makes me want to :cry: however!

"It still makes me want to :cry: how ever!"
May this site helps you "2020ok.com" if you want to ebooks on engineering..
2020ok.com > Engineering > Aerospace > Aerodynamics > Aeronautics in Theory and Experiments
And there are many ebooks on Aerospace engineering.

I'm looking for some on aircraft design, and I'm having issues finding one. Does anyone know and particularly good ones?

Lancelot59 said:
I'm looking for some on aircraft design, and I'm having issues finding one. Does anyone know and particularly good ones?

I have Raymer's "Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach". Raymer is very straightforward and provides many rules of thumb to keep initial design as simple as possible. Don't expect derivations however. Very practical book in my opinion.

dtango said:
I have Raymer's "Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach". Raymer is very straightforward and provides many rules of thumb to keep initial design as simple as possible. Don't expect derivations however. Very practical book in my opinion.

At this phase I'm not too interested in the derivation of the equations, so it's not an issue. I'll see if I can find a copy. Thanks for the tip!

1. What is the main purpose of an Aerospace Engineering book?

The main purpose of an Aerospace Engineering book is to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the principles and applications of aerospace engineering. It covers topics such as aerodynamics, propulsion systems, structures and materials, and flight mechanics.

2. Is an Aerospace Engineering book suitable for beginners?

It depends on the specific book and its intended audience. Some books may be written for more experienced engineers, while others may provide a more basic introduction to the field. It is important to carefully read the book's description and reviews before purchasing to determine if it is suitable for your level of knowledge.

3. What are the key topics covered in an Aerospace Engineering book?

The key topics covered in an Aerospace Engineering book may vary, but some common ones include aerodynamics, aircraft and spacecraft design, propulsion systems, flight mechanics, and space exploration. Some books may also cover topics such as materials science, control systems, and avionics.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required to understand an Aerospace Engineering book?

To fully understand an Aerospace Engineering book, a strong foundation in mathematics and physics is necessary. Knowledge of calculus, mechanics, and thermodynamics will be helpful in grasping the concepts presented in the book. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software may also be beneficial, as it is commonly used in the aerospace industry.

5. How can an Aerospace Engineering book benefit professionals in the field?

An Aerospace Engineering book can benefit professionals in the field by providing them with a comprehensive and up-to-date reference for the latest developments and best practices in the industry. It can also serve as a valuable resource for continuing education and staying current with new technologies and advancements in aerospace engineering.