Affects of lower salinity levels in oceans.

• Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levels
In summary, cyclones have been found to decrease the salinity levels in the water, which can have a negative impact on the survival of coral reefs and other organisms. This is due to the disruption of osmoregulation and homeostasis caused by changes in osmotic pressure. To better understand this, it is recommended to research the significance of osmosis in biological systems.
miniradman
I was reading some EEIs on how Cyclones affect coral reefs on the Great Barrier Reef and I was read that one of the effects they have on the oceans is that they decrease the salinity levels in the water. I tried to find out why this is such a bad thing, but I cannot find anything on it...

Can anyone share their insight? please :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
miniradman said:
I was reading some EEIs on how Cyclones affect coral reefs on the Great Barrier Reef and I was read that one of the effects they have on the oceans is that they decrease the salinity levels in the water. I tried to find out why this is such a bad thing, but I cannot find anything on it...

Can anyone share their insight? please :smile:

In order to survive and function properly organisms need to maintain their internal environment against a wide range of external environments. This is property is called homeostasis. An important part of maintaining homeostasis in plants is regulation of osmotic pressure of internal fluids also called osmoregulation. Any disruption will cause the plant cells and their transport systems to malfunction.

In order to understand this, once must first understand the significance of osmosis in biological systems. I recommend that you go through these sites and look up the material.

http://www.biotopics.co.uk/life/osmdia.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmoregulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis
users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/X/Xylem.html

1. How does lower salinity levels affect marine life?

Lower salinity levels can have a profound impact on marine life. Saltwater fish and plants have adapted to living in a specific salinity range, and a decrease in salinity can lead to stress and even death. In addition, changes in salinity levels can disrupt the balance of nutrients and oxygen in the water, making it difficult for marine organisms to survive.

2. What causes lower salinity levels in oceans?

Lower salinity levels in oceans can be caused by a variety of factors, including freshwater runoff from rivers, melting of polar ice caps, and changes in ocean currents. Human activities, such as damming rivers and diverting freshwater for agricultural purposes, can also contribute to lower salinity levels in certain areas.

3. How do lower salinity levels impact ocean currents?

Lower salinity levels can affect ocean currents in several ways. As saltwater is denser than freshwater, a decrease in salinity can reduce the density of seawater, which can disrupt ocean circulation patterns. This can result in changes in temperature, nutrient distribution, and other important factors that influence marine ecosystems.

4. Are there any potential benefits to lower salinity levels in oceans?

In some cases, lower salinity levels can have positive impacts on certain marine ecosystems. For example, estuaries and coastal areas with lower salinity levels can provide important habitats for a variety of species. In addition, reducing salinity levels in areas with high levels of pollution can help improve water quality and promote the growth of beneficial organisms.

5. How can we mitigate the effects of lower salinity levels in oceans?

To mitigate the effects of lower salinity levels in oceans, we can take steps to reduce human activities that contribute to these changes. This includes managing freshwater usage, reducing pollution, and implementing measures to protect and restore natural habitats. Additionally, monitoring and studying changes in salinity levels can help us better understand and address the impacts on marine life.