Affine Algebraic Sets in A^2 - Dummit and Foote, page 660, Example 3

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example Sets
In summary, Peter is seeking help in understanding the reasoning behind a statement in Example (3) on page 660 of Dummit and Foote's textbook on Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry. He is specifically focused on the statement "For any polynomial f(x,y) ∈ k[x,y] we can write f(x,y) = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y + (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y)." He has provided the introductory pages on affine algebraic sets in the D&F text for context and is hoping for a detailed explanation of why this statement is true.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
[I apologise for repeating this post ... but I genuinely would like help ... and the post comes from September 2015 ... and so is not an impatient "bump" of an item ... I hope administrators will understand ...]

=====================================================I am trying to gain an understanding of the basics of elementary algebraic geometry and am reading Dummit and Foote Chapter 15: Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry ...

At present I am focused on Section 15.1 Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets ... ...

I need someone to help me to fully understand the reasoning/analysis behind one of the statements in Example (3) on Page 660 of D&F ...

On page 660 (in Section 15.1) of D&F we find the following text and examples (I am specifically focused on Example (3)):https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5664
In the above text, in Example (3), we find the following:

"... ... For any polynomial \(\displaystyle f(x,y) \in k[x,y]\) we can write

\(\displaystyle f(x,y) = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y + (x^3 - y^2) g(x,y).\)"Can someone explain ( :( slowly and carefully) exactly how/why this is true ... ...

Peter====================================================

In order for readers of the above post to understand the context of the question and the notation employed I am providing the introductory pages on affine algebraic sets in the D&F text ... ... as follows:View attachment 5665
View attachment 5666
View attachment 5667

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition $k[x,y] = (k[x])[y]$. So every polynomial in $k[x,y]$ is a polynomial in $y$ with coefficients in $k[x]$. The Euclidean algorithm over $k[x]$ yields $f(x,y) = (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y) + r(x,y)$ where $0 \le \operatorname{deg}_y(r(x,y)) < 2$ (note: $\operatorname{deg}_y p(x,y)$ denotes the degree of $p(x,y)$ as a polynomial in $y$). So $r(x,y) = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y$ for some $f_0(x), f_1(x)\in k[x]$.

Euge said:
By definition $k[x,y] = (k[x])[y]$. So every polynomial in $k[x,y]$ is a polynomial in $y$ with coefficients in $k[x]$. The Euclidean algorithm over $k[x]$ yields $f(x,y) = (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y) + r(x,y)$ where $0 \le \operatorname{deg}_y(r(x,y)) < 2$ (note: $\operatorname{deg}_y p(x,y)$ denotes the degree of $p(x,y)$ as a polynomial in $y$). So $r(x,y) = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y$ for some $f_0(x), f_1(x)\in k[x]$.

Thanks so much for the help Euge ... much appreciated ...

Sorry for the late reply ... i have been ill with the flu ... just recovering ...

Thanks again,

Peter

1. What is an affine algebraic set?

An affine algebraic set is a subset of the affine space A^2 that can be defined by a finite number of polynomial equations with coefficients in a field K.

2. How do you determine the dimension of an affine algebraic set?

The dimension of an affine algebraic set can be determined by calculating the transcendence degree of the field extension K(x,y) over K, where K is the field of coefficients and x,y are the variables in A^2.

3. Can an affine algebraic set have non-trivial irreducible components?

Yes, an affine algebraic set can have non-trivial irreducible components. For example, the affine algebraic set defined by the polynomial xy = 0 has two irreducible components, the x-axis and the y-axis.

4. Is it possible for an affine algebraic set to have infinitely many points?

Yes, it is possible for an affine algebraic set to have infinitely many points. For example, the affine algebraic set defined by the polynomial y = 0 has infinitely many points on the x-axis.

5. Can an affine algebraic set be empty?

Yes, an affine algebraic set can be empty. For example, the affine algebraic set defined by the polynomial x^2 + y^2 = -1 has no points in A^2 since the sum of two squares cannot be -1 in any field.