1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Affine Geometric Problem

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the ratio of areas is proportional to the sides squared:

[tex]\frac{[ACD]}_{[CDB]}[/tex] is proportional to [tex] \frac{AC^2}_{CB^2} [/tex]

Please, see the picture: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/175564/geo_henry.JPG [Broken].

2. Relevant equations

AC = 2 * CB

[tex] \frac{AD}_{DB}[/tex] is propotional to [tex]\frac{[ACD]}_{[CDB]} [/tex]

where [ACD] and [CDB] are areas.

3. The attempt at a solution

I was unable to prove the relation with pythagoras, so I feel an easier solution. Perhaps, you can prove it somehow with affine geometry.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2
    Picture

Please, see the picture here: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/175564/geo_henry.JPG [Broken]. Or download the attachment.

Attached Files:

• geo.JPG
      geo.JPG
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. May 11, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The basic idea is that if two triangles are similar (same corresponding angles), their corresponding sides will be proportional.

[itex]\angle[/itex]ACD = [itex]\angle[/itex]CDM - alt. interior angles cut by transversal
    [itex]\angle[/itex]MDB = [itex]\angle[/itex]DAC - complements of congruent angles are congruent
    [itex]\angle[/itex]ABC = [itex]\angle[/itex]ACD - complements of congruent angles are congruent

The statements above show that triangle ACD is similar to triangle CDB.
    [ACD] = 1/2 * AD * CD
    [CDB] = 1/2 * DB * CD

The two equations above show the proportionality you want.

5. May 12, 2009 #4
    I am sorry of the blurry image. I wanted to know why the relation is true:

[tex] \frac{AC^2}_{CB^2} [/tex] is proportional to [tex]\frac{[ACD]}_{[CDB]}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook