Age Diffusion Theory and Fourier Transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses using Fourier transforms to solve a second order differential equation for the slowing down density in an infinite moderating medium. The final solution involves an inverse Fourier transform and an integration to find the constant f(k). The resulting solution is q(x,t) = (S_0/√(4πt)) exp(-x^2/4t).
ajhunte
I am attempting to solve a second order differential, but I am have never done anything like this. I was told that it was a good Idea to think about Fourier transforms.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}q}{dx^{2}}=\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

Boundary Conditions:
[tex]q(+/-\infty,t)=0[/tex]
[tex]q(x,0)=S_{0}\delta(x)[/tex]

Apparently the final solution is:

[tex]q(x,t)=\frac{S_{0}exp[\frac{-x^{2}}{4t}]}{\sqrt{4(\pi)t}}[/tex]

If you were wondering the problem statement:
Determine the slowing down density established by a monoenergetic plane source at the origin of an infinite moderating medium as given by age-diffusion theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is one of the simplest PDE you can solve via Fourier Transform which accounts for two physical problem of interest, i mean heat equation and Schroedinger equation.
We start with PDE

[tex]
\partial^2_x u(x,t) = \partial_t u(x,t)
[/tex]

First start with projecting the equation on Fourier space (with respect to x), we get

[tex]
- k^2 \hat{u}(k,t) = \partial_t \hat{u}(k,t)
[/tex]

This is a first order ODE in t for unknown [tex] \hat{u}(k,t) [/tex] its solution can be found by separation of variables and reads

[tex]
\hat{u}(k,t) = f(k) e^{- t k^2}
[/tex]

for some unknown f(k) constant in time. To recover [tex] u(x,t) [/tex] we simply use inverse Fourier transform

[tex]
u(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \hat{u}(k,t) e^{ i k x} dk = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} f(k) e^{- t k^2} e^{ i k x} dk

[/tex]

thus

[tex]
u(x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} f(k) e^{ i k x} dk
[/tex]

hence f(k) is just the Fourier transform of the initial condition of the PDE. In our case

[tex]
f(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} u(x,0) e^{- i k x} dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} S_0 \delta(x) e^{- i k x} dx = \frac{S_0}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}
[/tex]

So we find the solution by evaluating the integral

[tex]
u(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \frac{S_0}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-t k^2} e^{i k x} dk = \frac{S_0}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{-t k^2 + i k x} dk = \frac{S_0}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{-t ( k^2 + i \frac{k x} {t} + \frac{i^2 x^2} {4 t^2} - \frac{i^2 x^2} {4 t^2} ) } dk = \frac{S_0 e^{- \frac{x^2} {4 t}}} {2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{- t ( k + \frac{i x} {2 t} )^2 } dk =
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{S_0 e^{- \frac{x^2} {4 t}}} {2 \pi} \int_{- \infty - \frac{i x} {2 t} }^{\infty - \frac{i x} {2 t} } e^{- t p^2 } dp = \frac{S_0 e^{- \frac{x^2} {4 t}}} {2 \pi} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{t}} = \frac{S_0} {\sqrt{4 \pi t}} e^{- \frac{x^2} {4 t}}
[/tex]

Hope this can help, ask if some steps are not clear. bye.

What is Age Diffusion Theory?

Age Diffusion Theory is a theory that explains how the distribution of age in a population changes over time. It suggests that populations tend to have a normal distribution of age, with most individuals falling in the middle age range and fewer individuals in the younger and older age ranges.

How does Age Diffusion Theory apply to human populations?

Age Diffusion Theory can be applied to human populations by studying the distribution of age in a specific population over time. This can provide insight into factors such as birth rates, mortality rates, and migration patterns, which can impact the age distribution of a population.

What is a Fourier Transform and how does it relate to Age Diffusion Theory?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool that breaks down a complex signal or function into its individual frequency components. In the context of Age Diffusion Theory, Fourier Transforms can be used to analyze the distribution of age in a population and identify any patterns or trends.

Can Age Diffusion Theory be applied to other species besides humans?

Yes, Age Diffusion Theory can be applied to other species besides humans. It can be used to study the distribution of age in various animal populations and provide insights into factors such as reproductive strategies, survival rates, and population dynamics.

What are some practical applications of Age Diffusion Theory and Fourier Transforms?

Age Diffusion Theory and Fourier Transforms have practical applications in various fields such as demography, ecology, and epidemiology. They can be used to study population dynamics, predict future population trends, and inform policy decisions related to healthcare, resource allocation, and conservation efforts.