1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Age of universe

1. Apr 3, 2007 #1
    Hi i am confused as to how to calculate the age of the universe with redshift
    say for example

The age of the universe now is 13.4 billion years old (and a critical universe).
    How do i find the age of the universe if it was a redshift at say 0.6??

Do i have to find the scale factor first?
    I am not very sure, please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to know the ratio of the scale factors. z=(a0/a)-1 where a is the scale factor then and a0 is the scale factor now.

4. Apr 3, 2007 #3
    how do i get that? do i have to integrate first

5. Apr 3, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. To a good approximation the universe has been matter dominated all of it's history. What does a(t) look like as a function of t in this case?

6. Apr 3, 2007 #5
    so how would that work then?

7. Apr 3, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does a(t) look like as a function of t in a matter dominated universe? You can look it up, it's a power law.

8. Apr 3, 2007 #7
    to the power of 4

9. Apr 3, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope. Use the Friedmann equation. H^2 is proportional to rho. If a(t)=t^n. H is proportional to 1/t. rho is proportional to 1/a(t)^3. So 1/t^2 is proportional to 1/a(t)^3. So a(t) is proportional to t^(2/3).

10. Apr 3, 2007 #9
    I'm sorry I'm not an expert on this I dont usually take science courses... but are u saying I'm gna take a(t)= k * t^(2/3) . and that gives me the answer?

11. Apr 4, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Since z=(a0/a)-1, this gives z=(t0/t)^(2/3)-1. (t0 is the age of the universe and t is time at redshift z. It's an approximation but it should do. You are asking some pretty hard questions for a non-science course person. What's the course?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?