Prepare for Calc 2 Final with Practice Exam - Study Guide and Tips Included

• Thread starter belleamie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 2
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a practice exam for their final. They have trouble with the first two problems and need to use comparison, and the last problem involves grouping terms similar to the proof of the divergence of the harmonic series. The person they are talking to suggests using a comparison test for the second problem and says the third problem should not be difficult. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about being late with homework.
belleamie
Hey I have attach one of the practice exam that my professor gave out yrs ago as a study guide for our final. I think i need to use comparison for hte first two problems but have no clue where to start for the last one :(

Attachments

• a practice calc.JPG
    a practice calc.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe 1) unless you assume [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}na_n[/tex] exists. In this case, show that eventually [tex]a_n>L/n[/tex] where L is some fixed positive constant, and the result follows (comparison with harmonic series).

For 2) a straightforward comparison test will do- what have you tried?

For 3a) this should remind you of the usual proof that the harmonic series diverges, where you group the terms 1/3 and 1/4 together, 1/5 to 1/8 together, 1/9 to 1/16 together etc..

3b) shouldn't be a problem?

You know you're more than 3 years late with your homework :buggrin:

Daniel.

1. What is Calculus 2?

Calculus 2 is the second course in a series of college-level mathematics courses that focuses on advanced topics in calculus, including techniques for integration, applications of integration, sequences and series, and parametric equations.

2. Why is Calculus 2 difficult?

Calculus 2 can be challenging because it builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus 1 and introduces new, more complex topics such as infinite series and convergence tests. It also requires a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry.

3. How can I succeed in Calculus 2?

To succeed in Calculus 2, it is important to attend all lectures, complete practice problems, and seek help from your professor or a tutor when needed. It is also helpful to review and solidify your understanding of the concepts from Calculus 1.

4. What are some real-world applications of Calculus 2?

Calculus 2 has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to analyze motion, optimize systems, and solve differential equations, among other things.

5. What resources are available for help with Calculus 2?

There are many resources available for help with Calculus 2, including office hours with your professor, tutoring services, online resources such as Khan Academy, and study groups with classmates. It is important to utilize these resources to improve your understanding and succeed in the course.