What are the Opportunities for Air Force Physicists?

• Thread starter USAFA10s
  • Start date
In summary, Air Force physicists have a variety of research opportunities available to them, including aerospace technology, materials science, and quantum mechanics. They also have the opportunity to work on classified projects that are critical to national security and to advance in their careers from entry-level positions to more senior roles. They can also collaborate with international scientists and researchers to further their knowledge and expertise. Important skills for Air Force physicists include a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Knowledge of military operations and technology can also be beneficial.
USAFA10s
Gold Member
Hi,

I am an Air Force physicist (AFSC 61D). I just completed a PhD in physics at the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) at Wright-Patt. I am currently working as a physicist for the Air Force and plan to teach physics at the upper high school (AP/IB) or college level after I get out of the AF. I noticed a few threads on here about Air Force physics opportunities, so I'm happy to answer any questions w.r.t that.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Dale and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you sir, and Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
Thank you sir, and Welcome to the PF. :smile:
*Ma'am :smile:

Oops! Sorry. And thank you for your service. (Army brat here) :smile:

berkeman said:
Oops! Sorry. And thank you for your service. (Army brat here) :smile:
No problem, it is the default assumption when you string together Air Force and Physics - I'm used to it, statistically speaking you had a pretty good shot at being correct, I think my career field is something like 90% men...

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Teaching is my passion, I just didn't know it until I was well on my way to being an Air Force officer.

My specialty is probably electro-optics/remote sensing/image processing

My research was two parts - developing a sensor emulator to generate realistic synthetic data for detection and tracking problems (http://spie.org/Publications/Proceedings/Paper/10.1117/12.2262193) and developing a detection algorithm with the potential to detect sub-pixel moving targets in wide area motion imagery in near-real time - very applied and borderline electrical engineering (currently stuck in PA office so not published yet)

Welcome to PF!

Welcome to PF. :oldsmile:

1. What types of research opportunities are available for Air Force physicists?

Air Force physicists have a wide range of research opportunities available to them. Some common areas of research include aerospace technology, materials science, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, there are opportunities for research in areas such as propulsion, energy systems, and space exploration.

2. Can Air Force physicists work on classified projects?

Yes, Air Force physicists have the opportunity to work on classified projects that are critical to national security. These projects often involve cutting-edge technology and require a high level of security clearance.

3. What are the career advancement opportunities for Air Force physicists?

Air Force physicists have numerous opportunities for career advancement. They can progress from entry-level positions to more senior roles, such as research team leaders or program managers. Additionally, they can pursue advanced degrees and certifications to further their knowledge and expertise.

4. Are there opportunities for international collaboration for Air Force physicists?

Yes, Air Force physicists have the opportunity to collaborate with scientists and researchers from other countries. This can involve joint research projects, conferences, and exchange programs. International collaboration allows for the sharing of knowledge and expertise, leading to advancements in the field of physics.

5. What skills are important for Air Force physicists to have?

Air Force physicists should have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They should also have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Additionally, knowledge of military operations and technology can be beneficial for those working in the Air Force.