Air Handling Unit Test - Air Heating Problem

In summary, we are testing an Air Handling Unit and we need to raise the internal temperature by 30 degrees to pass the test. However, we cannot exceed an energy input of 500W. First, we need to work out what temperature the fans will raise the unit to. The fan manufacturer says that all energy input becomes heat (due to it being a closed system). Secondly, we need to know how many Watts are required to raise the temperature of air by 1 degree celsius in one hour. The fan manufacturer says that all energy input becomes heat (due to it being a closed system). Finally, is the formula for calculating the amount of Watts required to raise the temperature of air by 1 degree celsius correct?
JaredJames
We are testing an Air Handling Unit, we need to raise the internal temperature by 30 degrees to pass the test, but cannot exceed an energy input of 500W.

It is a completely sealed unit.

We have four fans constantly running, consuming 384W. Firstly, how can I work out what temperature they will raise the unit to? The fan manufacturer says that all energy input becomes heat (due to it being a closed system, but please let's not debate this, just accept it for the purpose of this question and use the full 384W).

Secondly (if part 1 doesn't raise the temperature by 30 degrees), what size heater would we need to achieve the increase?

Box Dimensions: 1.2x1.2x3.0m
Fan Input: 384W
Must not exceed: 500W (but I would like some answers even if they do exceed it to show me what we would need to do to achieve the required temperature increase)

Also, is there a way to work out how many Watts are required to raise the temperature of air by 1 degree celsius in one hour?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jarednjames said:
The fan manufacturer says that all energy input becomes heat (due to it being a closed system, but please let's not debate this, just accept it for the purpose of this question and use the full 384W).
Nothing to debate - it's true!
Also, is there a way to work out how many Watts are required to raise the temperature of air by 1 degree celsius in one hour?
Air volume times specific heat times power = temperature rise.

russ_watters said:
Nothing to debate - it's true!

I know it's true, but I put that because with someone in work who didn't understand it I had to spend an hour explaining the concept to him and didn't fancy having to go through the same thing again.

russ_watters said:
Air volume times specific heat times power = temperature rise.

Thank you for this.

Hi, that gives me 4.23cubic metres of air, specific heat of 1.005kg/kg K and a power of 384W. Which is over 1600 when multiplied together, which is one hell of a temperature rise.

Is the formula correct or am I making a mistake somewhere?

What is an Air Handling Unit Test and why is it important?

An Air Handling Unit Test is a series of tests performed on an air handling unit (AHU) to evaluate its performance and functionality. It is important because AHUs are responsible for circulating and conditioning air in a building, and a faulty AHU can negatively impact indoor air quality and energy efficiency.

What is the purpose of testing air heating in an Air Handling Unit?

The purpose of testing air heating in an Air Handling Unit is to ensure that the AHU is properly heating the air to the desired temperature and that the heating system is functioning correctly. This is crucial for maintaining comfortable and healthy indoor air temperatures.

What are some common problems that can arise during an Air Handling Unit Test for air heating?

Some common problems that may arise during an Air Handling Unit Test for air heating include inadequate heating, uneven heating, air leaks in the ductwork, and malfunctioning heating components such as fans, coils, and filters.

How is an Air Handling Unit Test for air heating typically performed?

An Air Handling Unit Test for air heating typically involves measuring the temperature of the air entering and leaving the AHU, as well as the temperature of the air at different points in the heating system. This data is then compared to the desired temperature and the AHU's specifications to determine if there are any issues.

How can problems with air heating in an Air Handling Unit be addressed?

If issues are identified during an Air Handling Unit Test for air heating, they can be addressed by repairing or replacing faulty components, adjusting the AHU's settings, or resealing any air leaks in the ductwork. Regular maintenance and testing can also help prevent future problems.