Air Horn Physics: Calculating Size, Length & More for Musical Chords

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind designing a series of air horns that each play a specific musical note. The main challenge is determining the size of the trumpet to produce a desired frequency and the best shape for the bell to achieve optimal harmonics. The project aims to create a line of locomotive horns that can play musical chords and produce a high decibel level at a distance. Some suggested resources include studying the mathematics of pipe organ sound and considering the similarities between pipe organs and air horns. The ultimate goal is to calculate the natural frequency of a horn from its dimensions and utilize a diaphragm to produce vibration.
Grant M
Hi. I am new to this forum and would like to get some information on the physics of an air horn. I am trying to design a series of air horns that each play a musical note. The problem I'm running into is what size to make each trumpet in order to produce a specific note. I know that frequency is related to length and width but I can't find an equation to use. The horns work pneumatically by a vibrating diaphragm. Ideally I'd like to use one specific dimension for the base of the bell and just vary the length to change the pitch.

I am looking for the following info:
-Calculating the total length of a horn from frequency
-The best shape of bell to use for a horn for harmonics (equation for the exponential horn bell)
-Calculating the size based on a 5" diaphragm
-other factors that I should take into consideration

The purpose of this project is to create a line of locomotive horns that play musical chords. Each set of horns will include 3-5 trumpets and must produce 96-110dB at 100ft.

Thanks for your help on this. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The physics is not simple ... though the fundamental is mainly to do with the tube length. The flair at the end is mainly for amplification.
The specifics of the shape give you the type of sound.

Simon Bridge said:
The physics is not simple ... though the fundamental is mainly to do with the tube length. The flair at the end is mainly for amplification.
The specifics of the shape give you the type of sound.

Or perhaps the simple physics isn't close enough to right?

Try this:

https://www.grc.com/acoustics/an-introduction-to-horn-theory.pdf

But you may not like it!

Likes Simon Bridge
mike.Albert99 said:
Or perhaps the simple physics isn't close enough to right?

Try this:

https://www.grc.com/acoustics/an-introduction-to-horn-theory.pdf

But you may not like it!

This PDF seems to be more of an speaker horn rather than a brass instrument. I need to figure out how to calculate the natural frequency of a horn from the dimensions. These air horns operate on basically the same principle as a trombone except with a diaphragm producing the vibration.

Grant, did you find the information you needed? I would love to know how your project is going. This idea has been a decades-long interest of mine.

anorlunda said:
I think pipe organs and air horns are pretty much alike.
I think the Vox Humana pipe in an organ is the most like an air horn. A reed is used at the end of a pipe. But the pipes are not tapered so they don't have a wide band match, like a tapered horn and the higher harmonics / overtones are not as pronounced as with an air horn.

1. How does the size of an air horn affect the pitch of the musical chord it produces?

The size of an air horn directly affects the pitch of the musical chord it produces. This is because the size of the air horn determines the length of the column of air inside, which in turn determines the wavelength of the sound waves produced. A longer column of air will produce a lower pitch, while a shorter column of air will produce a higher pitch.

2. Can the length of an air horn be adjusted to produce different musical chords?

Yes, the length of an air horn can be adjusted to produce different musical chords. This can be done by changing the length of the column of air inside the horn, either by physically adjusting the length of the horn or by using valves to control the length of the air column.

3. How is the size of an air horn calculated for a specific musical chord?

The size of an air horn needed to produce a specific musical chord can be calculated using the formula c = λf, where c is the speed of sound, λ is the wavelength of the sound wave, and f is the frequency of the sound wave. By rearranging this formula, the length of the air column needed can be calculated.

4. What other factors besides size and length can affect the pitch of an air horn's musical chord?

Besides size and length, other factors that can affect the pitch of an air horn's musical chord include the pressure of the air inside the horn, the shape and material of the horn, and the force and speed with which the air is blown into the horn.

5. How can knowledge of air horn physics be applied to other musical instruments?

Knowledge of air horn physics can be applied to other musical instruments, particularly wind instruments, which also rely on air columns to produce sound. By understanding the principles of air horn physics, one can better understand and manipulate the pitch and timbre of other wind instruments such as trumpets, clarinets, and flutes.