Transferring from Alabama CC to Engineering/Physics Program at UAH/UA/Auburn

• Thread starter plutoisacomet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary: Um... aren't there unions that force the school to... you know... keep him on staff even if he's convicted?
plutoisacomet
Hey guys, can anyone comment on transferring from an Alabama CC to one of the instate schools for engineering and physics i.e. UAH, UA and Auburn? Which has the best undergrad research opps, co-ops etc and how do these schools compare nationally. I am sure there is more I would like to ask but I have no other questions at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did the same thing and I ended up at UAB. I am majoring in EE and the program at UAB is really good. Plus all the industry around the Birmingham area are always coming to the school looking for engineering students for jobs and co-op opportunities. Of course if you are wanting to do anything medical related like biomedical engineering then UAB is the best choice. But in general I would say Auburn is the top engineering school in the state, but all four are good choices.

auburn

Well i just put in my application for auburn. I am a cc student in virginia and i heard auburn was an excellent school for physics or engineering. it seems theyre doing lots of interesting and forefront research. And it seems like there is a large physics faculty.

Why would anyone want to go to UAH, one of their Physics Professors is in jail on charges of kiling his wife.

Dr Transport said:
Why would anyone want to go to UAH, one of their Physics Professors is in jail on charges of kiling his wife.

And a Virginia Tech student shot up how many students? What's your point? :rolleyes:

I couldn't in good conscience send one of my kids to a school that keeps an accused murderer on the faculty holding tenure over his head until the trial is done. Now, before all you people start whining about he's innocent until proven guilty, think about this. Before he was arrested, all of his classes had to be canceled because of lack of enrollment, this includes the freshman required physics classes that usually have 100 students or so. When they listed him as staff, the students dropped the courses when they found out he was teaching. Even if he is innocent, no sense in keeping him on the staff if he cannot set foot in the classroom.

Another not well known point, as acting Department chair, he had an affair with his OA and she is now in jail on perjury because she lied to the police about the whole sordid affair and is accused as an accompliss.

So my point is, a student going crazy is one thing but, a state financed institution employing a suspected violent felon is another.

Dr Transport said:
So my point is, a student going crazy is one thing but, a state financed institution employing a suspected violent felon is another.

If you say so. This all just seems like gossip to me.

Casey

Does the fact that he has tenure mean that if he is charged with a crime, he can be fired? I am just asking. Look how long it took Colorado to get rid of Ward Churchill.

starchild75 said:
Does the fact that he has tenure mean that if he is charged with a crime, he can be fired? I am just asking. Look how long it took Colorado to get rid of Ward Churchill.

No tenure yet, the state is waiting until his trial is over. Given my personal experience with that university and in my opinion, lack of better judgement of the powers that be there, I'm sure if he is found not guilty, he'll be given full tenure.

I am not sure about a tenured faculty member being fired because of a felony on his/her record, every state is different.

Dr Transport said:
I couldn't in good conscience send one of my kids to a school that keeps an accused murderer on the faculty holding tenure over his head until the trial is done. Now, before all you people start whining about he's innocent until proven guilty, think about this. Before he was arrested, all of his classes had to be canceled because of lack of enrollment, this includes the freshman required physics classes that usually have 100 students or so. When they listed him as staff, the students dropped the courses when they found out he was teaching. Even if he is innocent, no sense in keeping him on the staff if he cannot set foot in the classroom.

Another not well known point, as acting Department chair, he had an affair with his OA and she is now in jail on perjury because she lied to the police about the whole sordid affair and is accused as an accompliss.

Um... aren't there unions that force the school to keep him?

JasonRox said:
Um... aren't there unions that force the school to keep him?

Yes, you may be correct. The Alabama Teachers Union is the most powerful union of any kind in the state. Even though it is a right to work state (you cannot be forced to join a union etc...) if you want to teach you MUST belong and pay dues.

I suspect that if convicted, union or no union the university can remove him for cause. My opinion is that since he is a naturalized US citizen, his citizenship should be revoked and he should be sent back to his country of origin.

Citizenship cannot be revoked unless he committed treason or is demonstrating allegiance to another country. Only Permanent Residency (the "Green Card") can be revoked when an immigrant commits a felony. But he's past that stage, so he's as American as you are to the courts.

Dr Transport said:

1) He's not in jail. His trial hasn't even started yet.
2) That has nothing to do with the quality of education within the institution.

I've never met the man. All that happened before I arrived here. I can say that the unfortunate incident has absolutely no impact on any students' current education.

I can't speak to the quality of undergrad education at UAH, but the research opportunities students (including undergraduates) are able to pursue here at NASA MSFC, technical industry, and military facilities are suburb. Huntsville allows for quite a number of rare opportunities. I'm very pleased with my decision to attend UAH for graduate school.

UAH has much to offer!

Ignore the negative publicity as it relates to faculty and staff. UAH has the best engineering programs in the state of AL. You may even want to consider relocating to the local area since huntsville is where the best engineering jobs can be found.

UAH has a plethora of engineering co-ops with different employers as well. Also, in my opinion, Huntsville is a great place to live.

Just my two cents.

1. How do I transfer from an Alabama community college to an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn?

To transfer from an Alabama community college to an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn, you will need to follow the specific transfer process for each university. This may involve filling out an application, submitting transcripts, and meeting certain GPA requirements. It is important to research and understand the transfer requirements for each university.

2. What courses should I take at my community college to prepare for an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn?

It is recommended to take courses in math, physics, and chemistry at your community college to prepare for an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn. It is also important to check with the specific university to see if they have any specific course requirements or recommendations.

3. Can I transfer credits from my community college to an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn?

Yes, generally credits earned at a community college can be transferred to an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn. However, the number of credits that can be transferred and the specific courses that will be accepted may vary. It is important to check with the university for their specific transfer policies.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for transfer students at UAH/UA/Auburn?

Yes, there may be scholarships and financial aid available for transfer students at UAH/UA/Auburn. It is recommended to research and apply for any available scholarships or aid offered by the university. Additionally, you can also look into external scholarships and financial aid opportunities.

5. Can I transfer to an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn if I am not currently enrolled in a community college in Alabama?

Yes, you can still transfer to an engineering/physics program at UAH/UA/Auburn even if you are not currently enrolled in an Alabama community college. However, the transfer process and requirements may differ for out-of-state students. It is important to check with the university for their specific transfer policies for out-of-state students.