Physics UG-G or Engineering UG - Physics G

In summary, the person started off as an engineering major, but ended up switching to physics due to their love for the subject. However, they are now facing a toxic student environment in their physics major and are considering switching to mechanical engineering for a cushion and better job opportunities. They are unsure whether to stick it out with physics and go to graduate school elsewhere, or pursue a minor in physics and continue with a mechanical engineering graduate program. It is advised that they focus on their true interests and choose a path that aligns with their goals.
iwastoodrunk
I started out as a pre-engineering major at a cc where I took my first physics class. I ended up falling in love with the subject and got accepted to top tier engineering school as a physics major.

My love of physics has just weighed out by a really bad physics major student body. I have gotten in trouble twice with the major student body just in my first month being here. (I fear I may lose a spot in my lab because of angry people, because of "he-said-she-said" situations. Sort of reminding me of high school almost).

After a month of being bummed out I was happy to hear the school recently changed policy that transfers could change their major to mechanical engineering (where they previously couldn't). It is in top #5 school where as their Physics prog is in top #30.

It is not just the toxic student environment which is why I am considering changing my major. I feel like I need a cushioning because who wants a physicist? The stigma is is that only 50% of PHD students actually get their PHD. Having a bachelors in ME from top 5 program seems more dependable coushining if I end up falling into those 50% who do not ever get their PHD. The Physics advsier here said that "face it, the engineer looks better than the physicist on the resume"

I was wondering if I should just stick it out with physics at this school and go to graduate elsewhere? Or is it possible to get a Mechanical Engineering and Physics minor here and continue with my Physics Grad elsewhere? The ME allows some cushioning, but I feel it looks terrible on graduate applications.Or maybe perhaps Physics UG-Engineering G??

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unsure what your wants are. You started off in engineering, then because of your love of Physics you switched majors, and now you are thinking of ME for cushioning and perhaps you like the prospect, but then you talk again of getting a Physics Grad degree with a ME UG degree (not recommended), or a ME Grad degree with a Physics UG degree (also not recommended).

For me (but I am not you) , the choice is clear...get the ME UG degree and then if you want, get the ME Grad degree; or you can just get the ME UG degree and get a good job with it. Plenty of Physics in ME with thermo, heat transfer, fluids, mechanics, dynamics, etc. Or get a Electro-Mechanical degree if you like both the mechanical and electrical aspects of Physics.

On the other hand, if you are choosing ME just to get away from the students with which you have issues, or as a cushion for better job opportunity without any real interest in engineering, forget about it.

Last edited:

What is the difference between Physics UG-G and Engineering UG - Physics G?

Physics UG-G (undergraduate general) is a broad course of study that covers all fundamental areas of physics, while Engineering UG - Physics G (undergraduate in engineering) is a more specialized course that focuses on the application of physics principles in the field of engineering.

What are the career opportunities for graduates of Physics UG-G and Engineering UG - Physics G?

Graduates of Physics UG-G can pursue careers in a variety of fields such as research, teaching, and industry. Whereas, graduates of Engineering UG - Physics G can work in engineering-related industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and energy.

Do I need a strong mathematics background to study Physics UG-G or Engineering UG - Physics G?

Yes, both courses require a strong foundation in mathematics as it is essential for understanding and applying physics principles.

Is laboratory work a significant component of Physics UG-G and Engineering UG - Physics G courses?

Yes, laboratory work is a crucial aspect of both courses as it allows students to apply theoretical concepts learned in lectures and gain hands-on experience in conducting experiments and analyzing data.

Can I switch from Physics UG-G to Engineering UG - Physics G or vice versa?

It is possible to switch between the two courses, but it may require taking additional courses to meet the requirements of the new program. It is best to consult with academic advisors for guidance on the process.