Alexander Grothendieck is no longer with us

• News
  • Thread starter slider142
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the life and contributions of mathematician Alexander Grothendieck, who recently passed away. The participants express admiration for his work and mention his early retreat from mainstream academics. They also briefly mention the ongoing debate about the definition of a meter.
slider142
Just thought that this may be of interest to some of the forum members, as it is not quite front page news in other sources. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum, as it is not really a matter of controversy, but it is current.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11231703/Alexander-Grothendieck-obituary.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I know nothing of math beyond what I took for my physics degree (translated for PF mathematicians, that means "nothing at all"). Wow, what an impressive life! It's a shame he retreated so early from mainstream academics.

I was surprised at the depth of his life as well. I had only known of his remarkable contributions to mathematics. A very interesting life!

'What is a metre?'

They're still trying to figure that one out. It's hard, 'cuz the answer keeps changing.

Thank you for sharing this news with the forum members. Alexander Grothendieck was a highly influential mathematician, known for his groundbreaking work in algebraic geometry. His contributions have had a lasting impact on the field of mathematics and his legacy will continue to inspire future generations of scientists.

While his passing may not have made front page news in other sources, it is certainly of interest to the scientific community. Grothendieck's work has been widely recognized and celebrated in the mathematical world, and his passing is a loss for the field.

Although this may not be a matter of controversy, it is important to acknowledge and honor the contributions of scientists like Grothendieck, who have dedicated their lives to advancing our understanding of the world through their research. We can all be grateful for his immense contributions and legacy in mathematics.

1. What was Alexander Grothendieck known for?

Alexander Grothendieck was a renowned mathematician who made significant contributions to the fields of algebraic geometry and abstract algebra. He is especially known for his revolutionary work on sheaf theory and the creation of a new mathematical language known as "Grothendieck style".

2. When did Alexander Grothendieck pass away?

Alexander Grothendieck passed away on November 13, 2014 at the age of 86 in Saint-Girons, France.

3. What was the impact of Alexander Grothendieck's work?

Alexander Grothendieck's work had a profound impact on the development of mathematics, particularly in the study of algebraic geometry. His theories and methods have influenced countless mathematicians and have led to advancements in various fields such as topology, number theory, and mathematical physics.

4. What inspired Alexander Grothendieck to pursue mathematics?

Alexander Grothendieck was inspired by his parents, who were both mathematicians. He also had a deep love for nature and believed that mathematics was the key to understanding the underlying structure of the universe.

5. What is Alexander Grothendieck's legacy?

Alexander Grothendieck's legacy is one of groundbreaking mathematical discoveries and a revolutionary approach to problem-solving. He also left a lasting impact on the mathematical community through his mentorship of numerous students and his dedication to promoting collaboration and openness in mathematics.