Proof of the Inner Automorphism Theorem for Endomorphism Algebras

• Thread starter losiu99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the statement that every automorphism of an algebra of endomorphisms of a vector space is an inner automorphism is well-known but has not been proven. However, a proof can be found in the book "Semisimple Algebras and Wedderburn's Theorem" on page 154, corollary 2. The book can be accessed through Google Books. Thank you to the person who provided this information.
losiu99
I have encountered a statement: Every automorphism of an algebra of endomorphisms of a vector space is an inner automorphism. I tried to prove it, but so far I fail. Does anyone know where can I find a proof of this theorem (it was stated as "well-known"), or provide a sketch?
Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, pdf on semisimple algebras seems to contain what I was looking for. Once again, thanks for quick and accurate help!

What is an endomorphism?

An endomorphism is a linear transformation from a vector space to itself. It maps elements of the vector space to other elements in the same vector space.

What is the algebra of endomorphisms?

The algebra of endomorphisms is the set of all endomorphisms on a given vector space, along with the operations of addition and composition. This forms an algebraic structure that can be studied and manipulated using algebraic techniques.

How is the algebra of endomorphisms different from other algebraic structures?

The algebra of endomorphisms is unique in that it operates on linear transformations, rather than on elements of a vector space. This allows for the manipulation and analysis of functions, rather than just numbers.

What are some applications of the algebra of endomorphisms?

The algebra of endomorphisms has applications in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, group theory, and topology. It is also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze systems with linear transformations.

How can the algebra of endomorphisms be used to solve problems?

By understanding the properties and operations of the algebra of endomorphisms, one can use it to solve problems related to linear transformations, such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, determining the inverse of a transformation, and analyzing the behavior of systems under repeated transformations.