How Do You Solve This Complex Math Problem Step-by-Step?

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps involved in solving a problem that involves dividing, multiplying, and finding common denominators. The next step is to multiply the equation by x^3 and continue with the solution process.
kuahji
Can't figure out how the example in the book is getting from one step to the next.

Here's the problem
2(8+216/x)(-216/x^2) + 2(x+27) = 0

The next step
(x+27)(1-1728/x^3) = 0

First thing I did was divide out the two & got
(8+216/x)(-216/x^2) + (x+27) = 0
Then I multiplied out the left part
-1728x^-2 + 46656x^-3 + (x+27) = 0
This got me nowhere it seems.
Then I tried to find a common denominator
-1728x-46656/x + (x+27) = 0
this is what I got when I multiplied it out & still nowhere it seems. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
kuahji said:
Can't figure out how the example in the book is getting from one step to the next.

Here's the problem
2(8+216/x)(-216/x^2) + 2(x+27) = 0

The next step
(x+27)(1-1728/x^3) = 0
Nope. This is wrong, so all that follows is also wrong.

Next step:

[tex] \frac {- 8 (216)} {x^2} - \frac {216^2} {x^3} + (x+27) =0 [/tex]

now multiply through by [itex] x^3 [/itex] to get:
[tex] -8(216)x - 216^2 + x^3 (x+27) = 0 [/tex]
now you should be able to continue.

I understand your frustration when faced with a difficult math problem. However, it is important to approach the problem systematically and carefully in order to find the next step. Let's break down the given problem and see if we can find a solution.

First, let's focus on the left side of the equation, which consists of two terms: 2(8+216/x)(-216/x^2) and 2(x+27). We can simplify the first term by multiplying the two brackets together, which gives us -1728/x^3. Now, we can rewrite the left side of the equation as -1728/x^3 + 2(x+27).

Next, we can try to find a common denominator for these two terms. The common denominator for -1728/x^3 and 2(x+27) would be x^3. This means we need to multiply -1728/x^3 by x^3/x^3, which gives us -1728x^3/x^3. And for 2(x+27), we need to multiply by x^3/x^3, which gives us 2x^3(x+27)/x^3.

Now, we can combine the two terms with the same denominator and get -1728x^3 + 2x^3(x+27)/x^3. This can be simplified to -1728x^3 + 2x^4 + 54x^3. This gives us the same left side as the next step in the book: (x+27)(1-1728/x^3).

It is important to carefully follow the steps and check for any mistakes along the way. Sometimes, a small error can lead to confusion and frustration. I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Remember to always approach a problem with a clear and logical mindset. Keep practicing and you will eventually become more confident in your math skills.

1. Why am I having trouble finding the next step in this math problem?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, not paying attention to key details in the problem, or simply feeling overwhelmed. It's important to take a step back, review the problem, and try to identify where the difficulty lies.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills in math is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and gradually increase the difficulty. Additionally, try to identify patterns and strategies in solving problems, and don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

3. Should I try to solve the problem in a different way?

If you're feeling stuck, it can be helpful to approach the problem from a different angle. This could involve trying a different method or looking for alternative solutions. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you see the problem in a new light and find the next step.

4. How can I stay motivated when I'm struggling with a math problem?

Math can be challenging, and it's natural to feel frustrated when you can't find the next step in a problem. One way to stay motivated is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Celebrate each small success and keep a positive attitude, reminding yourself that with perseverance, you will find the solution.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when I can't find the next step in a math problem?

Yes, it's absolutely okay to ask for help when you're struggling with a math problem. In fact, seeking help can often lead to a better understanding of the problem and how to solve it. Don't be afraid to ask a teacher, tutor, or classmate for assistance when you're stuck.