Algebra proof involving perfect squares

In summary, it is possible to find out if a and b are perfect squares using the prime factorization of c^2. However, this is only a starting point and more work is needed to verify the result.
johnlin22
The problem states, if c^2 = ab and (a,b) = 1, prove that a and b are perfect squares.
( the notation (a,b) means the GCD of a and b)

So i have a lot of thoughts on this problem but i am getting stuck.

1) if c^2 = ab then c(c) = ab which says c divides ab.

2) the only real theorem available about the GCD of two numbers we have is that it can be written as a linear combination. so ax + by = 1 for some integers x and y.

3) however this problem is in the section about prime numbers and prime factorizations so i started thinking about perfect squares prime factorization

4 = 2^2
9 = 3^2
16 = 2^5 = 2^2(2^2)
25 = 5^2
36 = 2^2(3^2)
49 = 7^2
64 = 2^6 = 2^2(2^2)(2^2)
81 = 3^4 = 3^2(3^2)
and so on. so it seems this this should help me somehow. But i am not sure where to go with this or how i am going to use that fact that (a,b) = 1, so they are relatively prime.

Well wait if they are relatively prime, they couldn't be 2 perfect squares like 36 and 81 or else their GCD would not be 1 it would 3^2 or 9.
But a and b could be numbers like 25 and 16.

Anyone can help me finish please? A lot of these ideas came up as i type this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Factorization seems a good way to go. I would try to find out how often a prime factor of c has to appear in the product of ab.
Then the GCD should tell you were this factor can come from in ab.

What's wrong with 25 and 16? They are a solution for c = 20.

I am still a bit confused. So just as an example if a were 25 and b were 16 then that's fine because (a,b) = 1.

so the c = 20 we have (20)^2 = 25(16) and so we have 400 = 400.
20 = 2^2(5).

so now i am starting to see something. c has the same prime factorization has a*b. I am having some trouble putting this all together though.

Is there anymore help i could get?

Do it the other way round to get a feeling what you have to do.
E.g. try to find some a,b for c=15.

write ab as a product of distinct prime powers, they must all be even powers if ab = c^2.

Now if gcd(a,b)=1 then a and b are coprime, so can't contain any prime factors in common...

Let me start with C.
c = p1^k1(p2^k2)...pn^kn.

c^2 = p1^2k1(p2^2k2)...pn^2kn

and we know (a,b) = 1 are relatively prime so they do not share any of the same p sub i right?
But i can definitely say that the prime factorization of c^2 better be the same the prime factorization of ab right?

so
a = (p1^2k1)(p2^2k2)...(pr^2kr)
b = (pr+1^2kr+1)(pr+2^2k+2)...(pn^2kn)

aha so then a and b are perfect squares. this is right?

does this work?

Last edited:

What is an algebra proof involving perfect squares?

An algebra proof involving perfect squares is a mathematical argument that uses algebraic principles to show that an equation or statement involving perfect squares is true or valid. This type of proof is commonly used in geometry, number theory, and other branches of mathematics.

How do you prove a perfect square?

To prove a perfect square, you must show that a number can be written as the square of another number. This can be done by using the properties of perfect squares, such as the fact that the square of an even number is always even, and the square of an odd number is always odd. You can also use the square root function to find the square root of a number and show that it is a whole number.

What is the difference between a perfect square and a non-perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be written as the product of two equal integers, while a non-perfect square is a number that cannot be written in this form. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it can be written as 3 x 3, while 8 is a non-perfect square because it cannot be written in this form.

Why are perfect squares important in algebra?

Perfect squares are important in algebra because they have special properties that make them useful for solving equations and proving mathematical statements. They are also used in many real-life applications, such as finding the area of a square or calculating the distance between two points in a coordinate plane.

Can you give an example of an algebra proof involving perfect squares?

Sure, here is a simple example: Prove that the sum of two consecutive perfect squares is always an odd number. We can represent two consecutive perfect squares as (n+1)^2 and (n+2)^2, where n is any integer. The sum of these two squares is (n+1)^2 + (n+2)^2 = n^2 + 2n + 1 + n^2 + 4n + 4 = 2n^2 + 6n + 5. Since 2n^2 and 6n are both even, the sum is always odd, as 5 is an odd number. Therefore, the statement is true for any consecutive perfect squares.