Proving Algebraic Equivalencies and Distributive Property in a Ring

• Thread starter acm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the first question shows that a/b + c/d and an/(bn) + c/d, where n is an element of I, are equivalent. The second question proves that in a ring R, m.0 = 0 for each m in R. Both questions have been proven using the distributive property and the fact that n is an element of I.
acm
Two unrelated questions that I need checked:
i) Show that a/b + c/d and an/(bn) + c/d , n is an element of I are equivalent. All denominators are assumed to be nonzero.
ii) Prove that, in a ring R, m.0 = 0 for each m in R.

i) an/(bn) + c/d = {and + (bn)c}/(bn)d = {and + (b)nc}/(b)nd (I is distributive), Hence, a/(b) + c/d = LHS. RHS = a/b + c/d. Hence LHS ~ RHS #.

ii) m.0 = m(n - n) where n is in R
Thus m.0 = mn -mn (R is distributive)
Hence m.0 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
acm said:
Two unrelated questions that I need checked:
i) Show that a/b + c/d and an/(bn) + c/d , n is an element of I are equivalent. All denominators are assumed to be nonzero.
ii) Prove that, in a ring R, m.0 = 0 for each m in R.
Okay, n is an integer but what are a,b,c,d? Are they integers or are they members of some general ring? Isn't it obvious that an/(bn) is equivalent to a/b?

i) an/(bn) + c/d = {and + (bn)c}/(bn)d = {and + (b)nc}/(b)nd (I is distributive), Hence, a/(b) + c/d = LHS. RHS = a/b + c/d. Hence LHS ~ RHS #.

Okay, that's a bit more complicated but works.

ii) m.0 = m(n - n) where n is in R
Thus m.0 = mn -mn (R is distributive)
Hence m.0 = 0
Yes, that's fine. Another proof is mn= m(n+ 0)= mn+ m(0) and then cancel.

(Identity element) #

Great work on proving the algebraic equivalency and distributive property in a ring! Your method of using the distributive property to manipulate the expressions and then showing the equality is a solid approach. Your explanation is clear and concise, making it easy to follow your reasoning. Well done!

For the second question, your proof is also correct and concise. You correctly used the definition of the identity element in a ring to show that m.0 = 0. Your use of the distributive property in the second step is also a good demonstration of the properties of rings. Overall, your responses show a strong understanding of algebraic concepts and properties. Keep up the good work!

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and equations to solve for unknown quantities.

Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us solve real-world problems by using equations and formulas to represent relationships between variables.

What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown quantities.

What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is the same as in arithmetic: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right).

What are the different types of algebraic equations?

The different types of algebraic equations include linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and logarithmic equations. Each type has its own set of rules and methods for solving.